Super Collegiate...Finally Finalized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks super slick, with the mix of old a new parts.
Looks fast! That's because I'm sure it is fast! Nothing like a RRRB (RatRodRoadBike).

Thank you guys! It is a lot faster than what I'm used to. I have to pay more attention on this one. End up going faster than you plan to.

Can't wait to get the black off the hoops. Gonna keep the hubs and spokes black and use black nipples. Got a few other things planned as well.

cranks2.jpg

c13.jpg

Thank you gents!

Wasn't planning to work on this during the week but had a couple things show up in the mail yesterday.

Got a different stem. Not much out there for 21.1 inch quill but found this alloy Dia Compe one. Has just a shade more reach than the original Schwinn stem.

stem.jpg

Brake upgrade came in too. Not the most romantic brand but cheap + awesome works...:D. Would have slapped the front on but have to drill for the recessed mount. Rear may need some other mods to fit.

brakes.jpg

Just hit the stem with some steel wool and Mother's polish. Going to try and limit the polishing to just that on everything this year.

stem2.jpg

Should have her dialed in soon.

stem3.jpg

There is absolutely nothing I don't love about that bike. Hopefully, you'll smoke a few of those spandex/lycra wearing "oh-so-serious" cyclists on the road. We are cheering for you.

:21: Kind of feel like one of those guys on this bike. Seems like people are looking at me like I'm going too fast..:21:...thank you!

Thank you guys!!

Look'n good!
I like it better without the chainguard.
Yeah, me too. Looks faster.

Had a feeling someone might say that. Took me a while to talk myself out of the guard but you're totally right.

But, still need something to keep the grease off the slacks...:p...made this guard out of an old chain ring for these cranks last year when I bought them.

Not quite as racy as the bare ring but perhaps a bit more classy.

cranks4.jpg

The cranks have really cranked this build in their own direction.

c14.jpg

Can whoop the dog running with this bike which isn't easy.

mckethe2.jpg

Might have to play with those new brakes soon.:)

Last edited:
Got the brakes installed. They haul her down from speed nicely.

brakes3.jpg

Got the recessed mount versions. Seems like I always find those cheaper and the recessed mount works out good on the old Schwinns.

brakes4.jpg

Didn't think the back brake would have enough reach but the solution was easy. I just put a big adjustable wrench on the mounting hardware and rotated the bridge forward a bit.

Angle of the brakes arms helps conceal this mod.

brakes6.jpg

Got that seat post clamp from Porkchopz. It's called a Sun Tour style and fits the Schwinn seat tube perfectly.

Finally was able to trim the shift cable. Rotated the bars back a bit as well. Not sure how picture worthy this bike will be but she's a sweet rider.

c17.jpg

Next up fenders.....

I know you're all about polishing up stuff, but I really like the combo of black and shiny chrome you have going on right now. :bigsmile:

And, the black complements the yellow well. Any thought to leaving the wheels as is? And yes, I know that's like asking me to cover up some of my rust! :21:

I know you're all about polishing up stuff, but I really like the combo of black and shiny chrome you have going on right now. :bigsmile:

And, the black complements the yellow well. Any thought to leaving the wheels as is? And yes, I know that's like asking me to cover up some of my rust! :21:
+1 on this, but I'm a bit biased.

I've got identical looking wheels on my blue 78 traveler III (700c black hoops, silver breaking surface, silver nipples, with black spokes and hubs).
I also polished all the chrome and aluminum parts, and ran black cable housings, seat, and bar tape.

Bright Schwinn paint, polished parts, and black accents. Me likey!

Awesome build!

Any thought to leaving the wheels as is? And yes, I know that's like asking me to cover up some of my rust! :21:

+1 on this, but I'm a bit biased.

Thank you fellas....My son was also trying to talk me into leaving the hoops black. Best chance for that is me just being lazy and not getting around to it since I usually do that when I get a black hoop to lace up.

I like the way these Weimann D 18 rims look polished. You get more of the aero effect.

A pic of some off the net.

IMG_1505.jpg

...and here's another set (not polished but bright) with black spokes, hubs and nipples.

3721345298_21981f9ebc_b.jpg

In other news I got a new headset from porkchop bmx. Made for old school bmx so fits the Schwinn head tube and fork. Stack height is a little high for the Schwinn fork but was able to get the Schwinn lock nut to catch a few threads.

hs.jpg

Goal is to acheive a little bit of the original Collegiate look.....but we'll see.

We just like to guve you a hard time, Chad! Polish away!

You're a master of blending old and new and making it look cool!
Looking sharp man!

We just like to guve you a hard time, Chad! Polish away!

Well you've given me an easy out in case I don't get around too it. It's hard to take these apart sometimes once they're runners.

...but I should be able to get to it after I get this laminate floor done in the house.

You're a master of blending old and new and making it look cool!
Looking sharp man!

Thank you!!

Installed the fenders today giving her more of the old Schwinn Collegiate look.

fender1.jpg

Rear fender took a fair bit of fiddling......starting with this.

Fender tab mutiny...:p

fender2.jpg

Made a new one from a spoke.

fender5.jpg

Actually seems to be working fine.

fender6.jpg

Front fender needed some mounts as there are no fender eyelets on the Schwinn fork.

Saw some quick release adapters online but could only find them in red so made some out of some brake pad backer plates + cable clamp bolts.

fender4.jpg

So far so good with those.

fender3.jpg

c20.jpg

Last edited:
Well you've given me an easy out in case I don't get around too it. It's hard to take these apart sometimes once they're runners.

...but I should be able to get to it after I get this laminate floor done in the house.

Thank you!!

Installed the fenders today giving her more of the old Schwinn Collegiate look.

View attachment 52766

Rear fender took a fair bit of fiddling......starting with this.

Fender tab mutiny...:p

View attachment 52767
Made a new one from a spoke.

View attachment 52768
Actually seems to be working fine.

View attachment 52769

Front fender needed some mounts as there are no fender eyelets on the Schwinn fork.

Saw some quick release adapters online but could only find them in red so made some out of some brake pad backer plates + cable clamp bolts.

View attachment 52770

So far so good with those.

View attachment 52772

Digging the engineering and cool fender adapters.

+1 on the backyard bike engineering! High degrees of rat-isfaction going on here!
Now, if it was only rustier....:21: Just kidding. I've said it before Chad, you have carved your own niche into the world of rat rod bikes.

Like the KF said,"You are a master of blending old and new and making it cool!"

Digging the engineering and cool fender adapters.

Thank you!

+1 on the backyard bike engineering! High degrees of rat-isfaction going on here!
Now, if it was only rustier....:21: Just kidding. I've said it before Chad, you have carved your own niche into the world of rat rod bikes.

Like the KF said,"You are a master of blending old and new and making it cool!"

Thank you OJ...I do plan to leave the frame as is if that helps with any ratisfaction...:D...it has some rust.

Went riding with the kid on his '68 Junior down to the park and rode the bike path. Bike path is serious business here in the city. Lots of frowny folks sweating up the spandex but we were having a good time.

Nice day here in OH. His bike has a 7 speed trigger shift and v-brakes.

park3.jpg

park1.jpg

Even got in the dirt a little. No mud with the 1 inch wide tires luckily.

park2.jpg

Need to do a little adjusting to the rear fender but she's running fairly well.

c21.jpg

Latest posts

Back