Sunlite Springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm getting one of those Sunlite springers that looks like a Schwinn springer. I know it's pretty cheap but I'll try to make the best of it.
upload_2018-11-1_14-2-43.jpeg

I wonder if anyone here has installed and used one of them, and what they needed, as per extra washers or reinforcing, to get the most of of it. I think it will need washers where the tongs bolt up at the crown. It looks like you could tighten it up too much and crush the tubes. I'd appreciate any input.

I sold one of those to @josh_from_ga . He used it recently on one of his builds.

I bought one a long time ago. I had to replace the bolt that held the spring in place. It snapped on me. Sold that bike almost right after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I live near a coastline with some humidity, I get the WD-40 with the flipping 2-way nozzles; they fit on Rust-Oleum spray paint cans.
I use the narrow red tube setting and spray the Rusty Metal Primer on the insides of the parts, as best I can, try not to have too much excess to drain, and wipe-off any excess on the outsides. I cannot really tell if it is preventing rust from the inside-out, but it makes me feel better, just knowing there is more rust preventative there.

Thanks @Phil Fink that's a handy hack with the WD40 sprayer and usable in just about any climate...
As far as the Sunlite forks they're fair enough. I've beat the tar out of a couple pairs on cruisers. But I wouldn't use it on a bike with a motor gas, mix or electric. The tubes aren't as thick or nice as Schwinn's obviously but ok for rats. Mine has locker nuts so they don't crush the tubes unless you over tighten them.

Carl.

Good advice from all. Thanks!
I think I'll make a cardboard template of one of the arms and save it. Then later on if I want, I can have new ones cut from some recycled material like aluminum to replace them if they give out. I don't ride that hard and the bike stays indoors when not out riding so it probably won't be a problem.

Sometimes they will be straight assembled in one order but not in another, so if it looks misaligned try swapping the legs or turning the head tube around. Also works best if the suspension spring is tight enough to avoid up and down motion on smooth surfaces, it eats energy.

Thanks Deorman, I'll go through the whole thing and check all the differences.

The bracket that slides over the top must also sit flush with the washer and cone to work just right. Otherwise it puts pressure on the spring bolt. I looked at a couple of videos on you tube and they just left the top bracket skewed with the top nut. On a CWC springer I put a big washer on the bottom, that was a mistake. That's where all the stress is, it bent the springer, only on top can spacers be added.
This pic shows it somewhat. The spring should be in line with the housing or it will flex at an angle. One end is lower so it won't give the proper spring action. The end on the fork tube needs to be raised slightly to get the alignment right.
upload_2018-11-4_8-29-4.jpeg

I put an old rusty repo one on a Snyder built post war non skipper, probably a 1950s model. I had problems fitting a new Wald head set to it. I ground off the nibs with a Dremel tool and enlarged the inside diameter a little of the fork crown race to fit the (I assume metric) diameter of the springer. Works perfectly but I don't ride it much. I painted it to look like rust to match the rest of the bike. The springer bolt was pretty rusty, but hasn't broken yet. The chrome was thin like plastic wrap and a vinegar bath and electric wire brush removed most of the rust and chrome. I'm pretty small, 155 lbs but it should be OK if you don't abuse it. A new rubber fitting can be made from rubber lab stoppers. Got one to fit an original Schwinn Springer from a friend that is a Chemistry teacher. I had to do some mods but that works perfectly as well. Should be cool man.

I received it and mounted it on with no problem. One leg was the same as the other, except where one has threads where the bolt goes through, so they can't be reversed unless you run the bolt the other way, but everything was symmetrical.
It seems heavier than the one I put on a friend's bike 10 years ago. I used a piece of 1" clear hose to make a spacer that seems to work fine.
DSCI0027.JPG

The front wheel is at a better angle too, the ride is better. It's been raining here so I don't have a riding pic yet, but I'm headed to Ford Island for Veteran's Day and will get some shots then.

I hope the bit of hose is a temp fix, I can easily see the force of the springer deforming it rather quickly.

It a pinch, I have used 1” ID pieces of threaded water pipe from Home Depot as spacers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/207176668

Enjoy the Veterans Day ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the the force of the springer only pushes backward against the fork. I was going to use a bunch of washers, but didn't want to spend 10 bucks. The bracket has to be perpendicular to the fork tube, so that's the right height. I'll see how the plastic is holding up after my 3-5 mile ride. I'll have a piece of 1" chrome tubing cut to size if the plastic doesn't hold up.

My ride wasn't as far as I wanted, but the strong cool breeze was good. The springer is great, I can ride with no hands. I have it tightened enough that it doesn't bounce as I go along, only a bump will make it move.
45816370_369485413797417_8244867195633401856_n.jpg

46081642_2021913767846022_6443421305961185280_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back