Sunday's Find - 50's english? - Benched for good

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this bike on the local for sale ads, went out today to pick it up.
The guy didn't know much about it other than he had, had it for quiet sometime. He never touched much other than putting new tires and a new shift cable on it.

The bike is red in colour,with 28" Sturmey-Archer wheels, 3 speed, front hub and rear hub. They have a stamp on them that states 50?
It has a horse hair filled leatherite seat, and a Brooks luggage rack (made in england). The tire's are Michelin, which still have the manufacturing nibs. He stated that the tires were imported from France, because of them being 28" he had a hard time finding them locally (Toronto)

Not a clue, what this bike really is. The serial number states Z6609 just below the seat clamp, unfortunately no head badge.

I really only bought it for the wheels to put on my latest project, but I just might clean it up and keep it as it is. But like everything my heart will change and the frame will be cut by 3pm this afternoon, kidding.

7124803935_9c3d6f09af_b.jpg

Re: Sunday's Find - 50's english?

Very nice bike.

Maybe a closer look at the chainwheel will help determine what brand it is. 50 on the hubshells, both of them, indicates it's a 1950 model, unless someone changed out both wheels at the same time.

Cool bike!Looks like my 26" Hercules bred with my Raleigh DL1 Tourist.The drum brake hubs and red rims are sweet :!: Too bad the chainguard is missing :( Personally,I'd give it an overhaul,clean/polish/wax,Brooks B72 and ride while looking for a proper chainguard.Nice find :!:

Cool. I've got a Norman that looks alot like that frame. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Mighyt be a humprhy or whatever them things are called, that or a english raleigh built CCM, i've seen some like that really nice though. i gotta 1939 raleigh like it but 12v dyno in front wheel, great riding bikes.

nice ride,I would prolly keep as is,I am thinking its a raliegh by looking at the design of the pinstriping,my mum had a ladies 60's raliegh wayfairer with same pinstriping angles and position,but two detrackers are that there seems to be no modal name on it and the crank does'nt have the 3 heron heads on it BUT they didnt always use the herons head cranks in different countries,have a look at the nuts some have the letter R on them

Re: Sunday's Find - 50's english? - dead

Unfortunately, the cranks are gone on this bike. She went for six great rides, I really love the ride and feel of this bike. But the cranks just can't hold any longer, and that is with installing new cotters. I got some weird looks on her last ride home as I would pull up on the sidewalk get the hammer, punch, and wrench out and retighten the crank arm.

jamaces said:
Unfortunately, the cranks are gone on this bike. She went for six great rides, I really love the ride and feel of this bike. But the cranks just can't hold any longer, and that is with installing new cotters. I got some weird looks on her last ride home as I would pull up on the sidewalk get the hammer, punch, and wrench out and retighten the crank arm.

You should be able to just replace the spindle and be good to go. Those are readily available.
If the front chainring is attache to spindle, you might need a whole replacement set from a donor.
A bit more hassle and cost, but could be an opportunity of a really cool chainring. Silver lining?

Too good a bike to let sit, that's for sure. :)

bprophet said:
You should be able to just replace the spindle and be good to go. Those are readily available.
If the front chainring is attache to spindle, you might need a whole replacement set from a donor.
A bit more hassle and cost, but could be an opportunity of a really cool chainring. Silver lining?
Too good a bike to let sit, that's for sure. :)

There aren't really any bike shops that I am aware of in my area that like to work on older bikes, or can get parts for them. That's the whole problem. I took it to a shop just out of town that they don't mind fixing things for me, but I was quoted around $500 to repair the bike. When I only paid $200 for the bike, and I was originally buying it just for the wheels for another project bike I was kinda sceptical. I haven't taken the bike apart yet, in fear something else breaks in the process.

Nice bike, most likely US built Raleigh or similar, we didn't really get the humpback frames over here, I think they were to appeal more to you guys as they were closer to cantilever frames (or as close as Raleigh could be bothered to go at that time!!).

Latest posts

Back