Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a refusal to tell anyone anything.

I just don't enjoy being insulted because I don't do things a certain way, so I feel it's better for me to just do my thing and show the finished product.
Nah, I get it. Was just giving you a hard time.
My guess is that the ones with the issues probably weren't build-off builders, anyway.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

With your design ability and fiberglass contacts, I'm sure you'd be the one to pull it off. And I'd love to see it.
Maybe one day it'll be the crowning jewel.
The seat support would be the hardest thing to make work, unless you never plan to actually sit on it! :21:

Come join in, show us your vision, I’ve given up trying to satisfy the voters. I’ve expressed opinions that some don’t want to hear even though others go unnoticed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't care about votes, if I did Ratillac would have been my last build.
I honestly don't care what people think about my creations.

Nah, I get it. Was just giving you a hard time.
My guess is that the ones with the issues probably weren't build-off builders, anyway.

No worries.

There are just some people who think they're the best at everything.

Yeah, El Chango Laton may have been one of my favorite builds, but it was never going to win a build-off.

This one won't be a winner either, but I will think it's cool.

Anyway.
I'll be following along on the builds, hoping to get some ideas for some stuff.

Right now I'm working on a camper, but I have a pink Felt Chief frame waiting in the wings.
I enjoy being a spectator more then anything . I have a mild build planed . Come July forward it gets to hot to enjoy wrenching anymore . We have already been in the mid 90s this year .

I'm not trying to win as much as I just want to build a better bike that the last one I did. I get a big kick out of how many "views" my builds get, almost always the top 2 or 3, but votes... eh I don't think I've broke into the top ten in the annual build off yet. But it only hurts if you let it. I'm happy when I take them to shows, because that's where they shine. My bikes have set next to beautiful restored vintage bikes and got all the attention. Rats built in a garage with hand tools and a 100 dollar wire feed welder...

Carl.

Carl, often the writing in your threads is at least as entertaining as following the build itself. The fiction you weave into it makes people check in. @Falstaff I hope is wasn't any comment of mine that precipitated your decision. My "tone" is harsh sometimes, (I'm an A-hole) and I come off the wrong way every time. Your decision is obviously yours, but as a humble observer, who would never think hisself better than anyone who can actually BUILD a bike, I beseech you to reconsider. I personally will defend you against any fool who dates besmirch you or your process. Unless you do something dumb...:bigsmile:

I use the build off as a goal, it gives me a deadline for myself to stay motivated. I have a build planned that won’t finish top 25 but it’s what I want. I’ve been waiting for the build off too start because it’s my last frame and I’m suffering build off withdrawal right now.

My angle grinder trigger finger is getting itchy!

As I feared, parts are slow to get shipped. I have 5 items from various places that have been in limbo for about a week, they are all waiting to be shipped.

I do have two frames cut into pieces and this old girl ready for a bit of surgery. That should keep me busy until parts show up.

P4190035.jpg

I think I ended up tied for something like 45th place with Retro Rocket, but I've seen people ignore exotic cars for it when I ride. I can't compete on craftsmanship with the top builders, but I consider it a win that it spreads cheer wherever it goes and when everyone asks me about the bike, I tell them it was for a bike building contest, and they are all shocked that I didn't win. People vote in different ways, too. I go for the most original ideas and the highest craftsmanship, myself, but I think a lot of people vote by what they would want for themselves, which leads to the well built, but more mass appeal designs cleaning up. The more involved people also seem to get more votes (I'm used to losing popularity contests—like Spinal Tap, my appeal is a lot more selective, but unlike them, it's always been that way). I generally think the top bikes are all deservingly the top bikes, but down the line, I often scratch my head at the rankings. Mostly, though, I'm lazy and I like to enter the build offs when I have something to build because the deadlines help me finish in a reasonable time (or at least "finish" close enough to work and look complete enough so that I can ride it until I can get to resolving the final touches or fine-tuning/redoing an engineering solution).

Awake at 2:00AM CST...Two to go???

Sent using Tapatalk

The frameset for mine has been leaning against the wall in my bedroom since it was unboxed over a year ago. The parts box next to it has slowly filled during that time and rims joined the leaning a few weeks ago. Yeah, I'm single but my g/f is a bicycle enthusiast as well. The part I'm looking forward to the most to (other than riding it) is restoring the paint, chrome and Nervex lug finish.

I do have two frames cut into pieces and this old girl ready for a bit of surgery. That should keep me busy until parts show up.

Sunset Orange, I find it a largely offbeat color but at the same time am strangely attracted to it. My next tallbike's bottom half is a 26" frame 1973 Varsity in Sunset Orange. The paint is not wholly capable of restoring, so no Catholic Guilt will be had when the sparks start flying. Looking forward to seeing your creation!

You guys had a chance to win until I found this seat. Game over now - go ahead and send me the trophy! :) ;)
7BC40128-C0E6-4303-AF92-5E425CD89E0F.jpeg

You guys had a chance to win until I found this seat. Game over now - go ahead and send me the trophy! :) ;)
View attachment 117937
You're going to wish it didn't have that crash bar when my build shoves it up... Wait. Maybe I'm getting carried away with the smack-talk. We don't even start building until Friday.

Latest posts

Back