Subtle Schwinn - COMPLETED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I like 26" BMX cruisers, so I decided on my next build, I would go low key - meaning less anodized parts, less bling, etc. I wanted to build a Schwinn cruiser that straddled the fence between something the Schwinn factory might have produced in the late 70's and a full out Cal Cruiser. So, here goes.

I started with a 1959 Schwinn Corvette frame I purchased from ind-chuckz. He seems to have an endless supply of Schwinn frames :). I removed the kickstand, etc. and took it to my local powdercoater. Since this build was supposed to be half factory-like and half Cal Crusier custom-like, I decided to go with a color reminiscent of Schwinn's Sky Blue.

I had a set of Tange 1200 BMX forks which seem to be classic Cal Cruiser stuff, so they will be used. The headset is a combo from a Tioga Beartrap and a Peugeot Pipeline. I also polished out the headbadge to remove the paint. Here's where I'm at so far. Next up - replacing the Tange decals and adding a couple of Schwinn decals. I hope you like it! :)

Here's what I started with -

Corvette.jpg

IMGP2020.jpg

IMGP2023.jpg

IMGP2022.jpg

IMGP2024.jpg

IMGP2021.jpg

Re: Subtle Schwinn

Looks like a great start... so funny you posted this today. I just bought a Schwinn Heavy Duti frame from Chuck this morning and am planning on making it a full size BMX. Been doing research all day on parts I want. I think I am going to get some new 24" mags for mine.

Good luck with the build!

So it's been a while since my original post. Been busy getting parts together and building wheels. :)

NOS Decals & silver ACS seat clamp
IMGP2072.jpg

NOS silver KT Hubs
IMGP2071.jpg

Arayas with KT hubs - need to clean up those spokes!!! :wink:
IMGP2075.jpg

IMGP2076.jpg

Porkchop Goodies
IMGP2069.jpg

Takagi Cranks,NOS Blue Ano chainring, sealed YST bottom bracket conversion
IMGP2073.jpg

Handlebar dilema - Original 1980 Schwinn Cruiser bars or Raleigh MX bars? I think I'll keep it "subtle" and use the Schwinn bars. Blue AME grips
IMGP2079.jpg

IMGP2078.jpg

Brooks Seat
IMGP2070.jpg

26X 1.75 Rubber
IMGP2074.jpg

Still waiting on the seat post - Tioga 13/16 laid back NOS, 9/16 KKT Silver road bike pedals, and need to purchase the chain.

Got something in mind for the hole left by the kickstand removal. :)

Next up is putting it all together!!!

Looking good so far! Keen to see all these parts installed!

Beautiful!!

I think you should run those Raleigh bars though. They would be a really cool touch.

I dig the pink Schwinn canti in the background of the first pics.

Looks great so far... is that a cap in place of the kickstand? I was thinking of cutting it off on mine, but the cap looks good. Did you buy it or make it?

Very nice I built a very similar bike last year one of my favs to ride in the summer
cruisers005.jpg

It has the BMX look but rides more like a cruiser with the low bottom bracket cant wait to see yours done

Crump582 - That is an end cap from a Schwinn Varsity handlebar - fits right in the kickstand location! You should try it. I'm thinking it would be cool to color match the frame since there are a ton of options for 7/8 hadlebar ends!

Oldcruiser26 - sweet cruiser - looks really BMX! I debated whether to go with a crossbar handlebar or the Schwinn cruiser bars and single stem. I like yours. Decided to go with the single stem to keep the look a bit different from the Cal Cruisers, but just close enough.

Very cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar, but I just can't find one of these forks. Mind if I ask where you got or can get a pair?

Try EBay, RatRodBMX, BMX Museum, etc. 26" Tange 1200 forks come up occasionally.
If you want just plain chrome 26" BMX forks - you can find them easily from many different vendors.Good luck!

Robertk said:
Try EBay, RatRodBMX, BMX Museum, etc. 26" Tange 1200 forks come up occasionally.
If you want just plain chrome 26" BMX forks - you can find them easily from many different vendors.Good luck!

Heck, yes... There are lots of options for forks alot like these. I just got a new 26" wheel 1" threaded SE Landing Gear Fork in black, but you can get them in chrome, too. Pretyt nice forks, kinda pricey, but so are the vintage ones in good rider condition...

-rob

Latest posts

Back