Sturmey Archer kickback hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've got a new SA kickback hub. The wheel rolls very well, but the cog isn't moving very freely. Is that normal and needs to be ridden to break in? Has anyone done adjustments on these new hubs?

I readjusted the cones, it's done on the brake side according to everything I've read. It seems to be better, but I'll have a test ride tomorrow and see how it sits afterward. All the complaints I've read about this hub are from earlier ones that were corrected. Server still isn't allowing pics.

The Cog should not move freely, I it supposed to take the hub :grin:

But seriously, It should be moving just fine.
Maybe it was stored for too long? Some greases lose a bit of oil when storing stuff for a long time.
Or indeed, re-adjust the cones a bit. It is quite tricky (with all hubs) and takes patience: you should be able to feel a bit of play but not too much. And the other variable is the rotation: It should rotate without feeling heavy and/or jerky/shocky (that probably the wrong word for it) :bigsmile:

I've had it out for a good ride now, after readjusting it. It shifts fine and I don't feel any restriction on the pedals moving back and forth. So I think it's fine. 39 chain wheel/18 cog is a good gear range with my 26" wheels.
SA 2 speed.JPG

It came with a chrome 22 tooth cog, but 18 works better for me.
4 feb fiesta - Copy.JPG

Latest posts

Back