Sturmey archer 3 spd coaster brake help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mos6502 said:
JoKeR63 said:
Tychevelle said:
**update** my hubs an S3C... Now what? Lol

One of the reasons for my aforementioned funniness is they have a defect. If the hub is in neutral( ya know, that spot between 2nd & 3rd), you have no brakes! Somebody raised a stink, so they were discontinued.

You're thinking of the TCW. The S3C replaced it and the coaster brake is driven directly, although it's still not a particularly good hub.

You mean to tell that there is a SA hub that is worse?!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I still had all my problems with the SC3.

JoKeR63 said:
**update** my hubs an S3C... Now what? Lol

I worked for a master mechanic who liked the TCW better than the S3C, though I don't know why. The truth is that many people got plenty of good service out of both of them.

I agree that 20W or ATF is good lubricant for SA hubs. Even 30W or 40W should be OK, as long as it's mineral oil and not 3-in-1 which is vegetable oil.

There's a terrific site called hubstripping with fantastic videos. Those guys know everything about SA hubs.

I haven't taken apart either the TCW or the S3C, but I've fixed several AW's. It's not hard. I've also fixed plain coaster brake hubs. Those are easy. I don't think this hub should be much worse than an AW, but others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Good info, I have been wanted to finally look at one of these hubs that I have.

What is wrong with TCW, I have a TCW III that I might use on my Spaceliner until I can afford original wheels?

The TCW runs the coaster brake through the transmission gears. The big danger with this was that if the hub got out of adjustment and fell into "neutral" between the gears - no brakes!

Consumer Reports published a letter they got from a reader whose child broke both of his arms after the brakes on his bike wouldn't work and he hit the broadside of a house... :shock:

The moral of the story is - also run a front brake if you're using a TCW. :wink:

Latest posts

Back