Sturmey archer 3 spd coaster brake help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys,

Ive found info on re & re'ing a reg sa 3 spd but not much on the ones with coaster brakes. my CCM tandem has one with a coaster it shifts great but when you go to stop it just goes click , click, click, click .... and doesnt do much stopping lol any one ever rebuild one of these? any tips? ideas?

thanks Ty

Which model is it? It sounds like a problem with the coaster brake itself.

Thanks for the links ill have to check em out when i get home i know its obviously a proble
With the brake but i dont know much about them. Ive rebuilt quiet a few kickbacks but no three speeds yet are the coaster brake adjustable? Ive found a step by step re and re on sheldon browns site but not much on the coaster brake part

Well the TCW is considerably different from the S3C, so without knowing which you have I don't have much to say. If it's the S3C the brake part of the system is fairly straightforward though.

If it's an SC3, do yourself a favor. Unlace the hub from the rim, walk it over to the garbage can, and throw it away. Seriously, they're that bad.

JoKeR63 said:
If it's an SC3, do yourself a favor. Unlace the hub from the rim, walk it over to the garbage can, and throw it away. Seriously, they're that bad.

Lol that's funny right there. Ill have to look at the hub tonight the bikes behind a few others you know how it is :p. I do have a couple nexus 3spds I could put into it but I'd like to keep the SA if I could since its original to the bike and it has a front SA dyno hub that still works.

Ty

Take it apart, and don't lose any pawls. Everything comes out through the drive side. It may not be salvageable though, last time I had a coaster brake which made ticking sounds instead of applying the brakes it was because the brake shoes were cracked.

Tychevelle said:
**update** my hubs an S3C... Now what? Lol

One of the reasons for my aforementioned funniness is they have a defect. If the hub is in neutral( ya know, that spot between 2nd & 3rd), you have no brakes! Somebody raised a stink, so they were discontinued.

The ones I've mess with always made snapping noises, the planetary gears didn't mesh right. Darn things are too skinny.

I'd seriously consider another hub.

I just checked my hub and its a s3c.

What problems should I be expecting?

I just used a few drops of automatic transmission fluid to lubricate it. It still feels a little tight, the wheel doesn't spin as freely as I think it should.

JoKeR63 said:
Tychevelle said:
**update** my hubs an S3C... Now what? Lol

One of the reasons for my aforementioned funniness is they have a defect. If the hub is in neutral( ya know, that spot between 2nd & 3rd), you have no brakes! Somebody raised a stink, so they were discontinued.

You're thinking of the TCW. The S3C replaced it and the coaster brake is driven directly, although it's still not a particularly good hub.

axsepul said:

I just used a few drops of automatic transmission fluid to lubricate it. It still feels a little tight, the wheel doesn't spin as freely as I think it should.

I would use SAE 20 oil. Are you sure the cones are adjusted properly? I remember mine coasted as well as any AW.

mos6502 said:
axsepul said:

I would use SAE 20 oil. Are you sure the cones are adjusted properly? I remember mine coasted as well as any AW.

Mine coast and shifts great. Just on applying the brake it clicks and very lightly applys the brakes. Axsepul sounds like the cones are too tight or else maybe its gummed up inside?

Latest posts

Back