Stripped & Teased: Updated 7/15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/10

looks like a great bike!

Thanks again for all the compliments.

Bikebuilder- this is a good idea. I was thinking it might even be cool to use a dash or heater knob from an old car to twist instead of a stick shift (good chance I'll go with a stick shift though). I'm going to have to try and see if I can get it to work.

bikebuilder said:
This should allow slack on one side while the other side is pulled.
The cable ends would be bolted to the shifter lever and ride on a roller or bushing of some kind that would be bolted to the back plate that is bolted to the tank.

markshifter.jpg

if you were gonna put a lever on it like this, maybe you could rig the shifter up so that it sits sideways in the tank, and pokes out the side a bit. then install the lever in place of the rubber grip. or, a knob as has been suggested.

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/12

onelesspedestrian- That was actually my first idea and would of been a lot easier. The shifter is way to wide and you'd have to put a serious kink in the cable to even have a chance for it to fit.

I think I have a solution for the shifter that I like. It is a version of the one bikebuilder mentioned. A few more pictures would make it clearer, but my camera batteries died and I hope this makes some sense.

First I made a new plate with a hole in the center and two holes for the cables to come through. The nut will help keep the washer up to give room for the cables.
DSC04139.jpg

Then I drilled a couple holes in a fender washer to hold the cables. On top of that goes a lock washer and a spacer.
DSC04140.jpg

Finally it's all topped off with a cover to hide the cable. The cover is a lid to a cologne bottle that I hack sawed off the top. The part that you turn to shift (and keeps everything tight) is a chrome air filter nut.
DSC04141.jpg

I liked how it turned out but the cables kept binding. I changed it and made it so that the knob shifts up, and there is a pin under the tank you pull to shift down. It's actually working pretty good and now I need to start working on getting the frame and parts stripped.

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/13

Not really an update but I thought I'd post it anyways. I usually start my day with some warm up sketches, and I figured why not do one of my build off bike. I ended up taking it a little further than a typical warm up sketch. Also there isn't a particular reason Dracula is riding it, he just happened to be the first character that popped into my head.

dracula1.jpg

the knob is sweet really clean reminds me of the old huffy radio bike tank. very well done

kram said:
Not really an update but I thought I'd post it anyways. I usually start my day with some warm up sketches, and I figured why not do one of my build off bike. I ended up taking it a little further than a typical warm up sketch. Also there isn't a particular reason Dracula is riding it, he just happened to be the first character that popped into my head.

dracula1.jpg
i would like that on a tshirt please!

thats a great drawings! i think it should go on the tank!

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/15

Well, I think I decided on a color. Originally I was planning on using navy blue, but I decided that I wanted something lighter. I didn't have much luck finding a lighter blue that I liked. However I already had a can of Rustoleum 'Herbal Green' and it is just what i was looking for. The only parts that will get painted are the rims and some of the detail on the tank.

The color looks a little different than the pictures but it gives you a pretty good idea.
DSC04145.jpg

DSC04147.jpg

cool ideas. I like the alternative shifter. Like some of the hidden latches and stealth controls you see on modern hotrods.

are the rims felt? nice color

Latest posts

Back