Stretchaschwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elvis51 said:
sure is a sweet looking stretch ya got there unc!

Easy E
Hey thanks I'm trying
cman said:
Looks great. I can't believe you are giving that much love to a Schwinn. :mrgreen:
Yeah can you believe that Clancy. It sorta snowballed on me. I got my jig out the other day and found out I could use it in my vice and screwed the other end to my workbench. I stuck the partialy built clone in it and was going to finish it. Then this throwaway came up and skip wanted the crank. I was really going to pitch it after I took a few parts off. I made the mistake of sticking it in my jig for something to do and the rest is history. Now Mark is telling me we have another buildoff in the works.aaaarrrgggg!

Hey thanks glad everybody likes it . I'm starting to have second thoughts ,about the rear part. It looks awful dinky with the little thin rods. I normally build something a little less delicate. I may have to build it before I paint it and jump my 260 pounds up and down on it ,and see if it will distort or bend in any way.
If it does I have a bottom bracket made out of that scedule 60 that I can weld on there that I know will withstand the weight....Any thoughts anybody?

Might do that . I tried bending them and they are pretty sturdy. Guess its like a skinny woman .....not really that easy to dammage. :roll:

well the sanding/grinding is mostly done and I have to bondo the welds smooth. I found a good set of black alloy wheels with stainless spokes. Looks like they will be the choice.

withblackalloys001.jpg

withblackalloys006.jpg

On a Chinese Schwinn? Guess I could spray a little gold paint around the welds. I was surprised that the tubing was thick. It welded very easy with no burn through.

Ok I told mark I counted today and in just my shop alone I have 36 loose wheels and I think 20 rims ....Didnt see a 27'' one in the bunch :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice work,i love the frame-the stretch and those black rims are c/b hubs if so where did you pick them up at because i'am looking for a pair in black w/ chrome or black spokes,and i like the curve tube in the frame it looks really good. 8)

metalman72 said:
nice work,i love the frame-the stretch and those black rims are c/b hubs if so where did you pick them up at because i'am looking for a pair in black w/ chrome or black spokes,and i like the curve tube in the frame it looks really good. 8)
Thanks ...glad you like it. I have a source for them used. Some are good and some are well used from being outside all the time. I was buying alot and taking ones that didnt look real good alloy wise and relace them to other new rims. They come with stainless spokes and shimano coaster brakes. Cheap way to get good rims.

My jig was bike specific. I built one style of frame and it was as simple of a jig as I could build. The actual front part of my frame was built in a wooden cutout . I drew a frame on wood and then cut out the front fork tube ,the top 2 tubes and the bottom tube with a bandsaw. It was a matter of bending the tubeing and laying it in the templet. I tacked it together and then put it in my jig. Some of the ones in the how to section are good examples on how to build a jig. If you look on the floor behind my jig, in the second pic, you will see my frame templet.

straightbar1.jpg

straightbar3.jpg

the man back in his natural element! :D just like the old days,this is great! now show the 1500 new members,the magic metalwork,that you do so well! 8) i think i know somebody that REALLY wants one of your frames! :wink:

Latest posts

Back