Stretchaschwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you have a throwaway schwinn and somebody wants the cranks. You cut them off and your left with a pretty good chunk of Schwinn. As you look at it you think....Gee I'm bored and I have the technoledgy to rebuild it better. You get out your old stretching machine and get started. Ok there is a box full of those 1 piece crank housings....Hummm.I could stick one of those in there and be back in business....Naw It needs about 6 1/2 inches of stretch...ahhhh. It needs one more cut at the top bar where it hooks into the seatpost tube.....Done. Line it up and tack weld it. Now the design of a straight top bar dosent lends itself to much of a design change. I have wanted one of those frames that has the bent bar under the straight one. This looks like its going someplace......get started welding and run out of wire....just need to put a new spool on but it killed my momentum....more later.

stretchaschwinn001.jpg

stretchaschwinn004.jpg

Ok its kinda together....did you know a wald seatpost will slide really tightly over the bottom chainstays of a schwinn. :lol:
Still got some welding to do and then a bunch of sanding/grinding. Need to design the middle bar too....but its closer. It wound up about a 6 inch stretch. Ought to be more confortable anyway.

closer001.jpg

Looks like its going to be a little lower...ought to ride pretty good

withrims001.jpg

Way cool, i cant believe my eyes :shock: a stretched SCHWINN comming out of the Uncle Stretch shop. Dig it 8) 8) maybe there is something to this global warming thing :lol:

See and you have been waiting for me to build a Schwinn :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: It probably wont look like a Schwinn when I'm through...well it will still have that tell tale badge. I guess I could give the badge to a Schwinn lover :wink:

I'm surprised with the big buildoff nearing an end that anybody would look at a simple stretch. I guess I could have done something wild . Gotta buy some bondo tomorrow and start molding in all the welds. It takes a little doing ,but they sure look better. :roll:

Uncle Stretch said:
I'm surprised with the big buildoff nearing an end that anybody would look at a simple stretch. I guess I could have done something wild . Gotta buy some bondo tomorrow and start molding in all the welds. It takes a little doing ,but they sure look better. :roll:
You mean like a real Schwinn? :p

I love truss/arch frame bikes..........can't wait to see your progress!

After wanting one I cant even find a picture to copy the design. I thought they were Iver Johnsons But I have had no luck so far. Maybe someone could post me a picture so I can get it right. If not I will probably leave it like it is without the additional bar......Somebody help!!!! :cry:

Perfect thanks Deorman....Ill try and whip one up tomorrow :lol: :lol: Should help the looks of my plain jane build .
Man Steve that gives me a bunch to choose from. It will be hard to make a decision now on how it should look. :(

Ok I showed my wife several of the pictures and she said the excelsior style looked the best. It dosent have the small bar between the bent one. So I got it bent and welded in . Now it dosent ,by any stretch of the imagination look like an excelsior ,but I have found that a 6'' stretched anything rides really nice and I dont expect this one to be any differant.

excelsorbaradded001.jpg

excelsorbaradded002.jpg

Latest posts

Back