Low Flyer...."Building a Better X53"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cross brace tubes are fit.
The tank looks pretty nice in there :)

14860814136841629902548.jpg
14860815191541716469650.jpg
1486081710473-1052434382.jpg

Checking out the new lines I'll have to work with.
I'll try and re-bend the entire rear bar/rack tubes I think...It's going to be challenging!
Looks like the best look might be an S bend piece of tube that connects the tank bars to the rack tubes....Or maybe something else entirely?

I've got some ideas cooking ;)

1486084448567340364184.jpg

I think I smell what your cooking.
Skiptooth cog for a modern Bendix?
I got mine from eBay.

Guitarl. [emoji450]

Maybe with the frame drooped down a bit, you might consider doing something similar to the rack tubing? Just spitballing here:
X-53_zpsks2hvzub.jpg
Yep, I'm thinking I'll have to restyle the rack from the original....the tank tubes need to extend al the way back to the rear.
The rack of course has to be above the fender, looks like there will end up being 3 parallel lines, with the bars that hold the rack rolling down to meet the new bar that continues from the tank. Also hoping to scooch the rack itself back enough to slam the seat a bit more, gotta work that out....whew, that's a lot of talk...:)

Hopefully one or the other of my buddies has a tubing bender that will be able to make that nice tight bend in the back.

I really like where this one is headed.
Great ideas flowing together well so far.

OH YEAH!!!! That is slick!

This tank will end up being welded on permanently.
Lots of weird bends and warps welding these babies together, plus the frame style is trickier to fit than a simple straight bar would be.
My sheetmetal skills are not up to the task of form fitting, I'm lucky when I can get these shapes pretty close.

Haven't decided on a paint scheme yet..It'll be an important part of this bikes look. I do want to distress the paint alot.
I do have an idea, can't wait to try it out!
Prob is that I'll have to get my paint on, then weld the tank on.
I guess there will be touch up painting to do around the welded spots...But should be no biggie since it's going to be a ratty paint job anyway :)

Latest posts

Back