Stingray OCC Chopper Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Have had my eyes on these bikes for parts, saw this one at a yard sale saturday, I didn't stop. Sunday talked to the neighbors and they hadn't sold it, said they'd take $20 for it. I usually don't buy bikes, but I gotta do my part to stimulate the economy every now and then. The bike's in decent shape, nothing is missing, it even has fingerless riding gloves in the handlebar mounted bag. The chopper really isn't my style, but I'm pretty impressed with this bike. I wish all bikes came with nice head badges like this one has, seem to be aluminum and is very sturdy. I got red dice valve caps... were these stock?

0607111435.jpg

0607111437.jpg

0607111437a.jpg

Mine came with blue dice caps because mine is blue :wink: So...probably stock :D Nice find :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
No, nor did it come with a bag :wink:

Sweet, mine must be HIGH class then, haha.

Would like to de-rake the fork and get another big wide wheel to use on the front, or cut off the rear triangle and build a sport bike inspired rat rod.

The dice valve caps are stock. The bag is not, but was part of a line of "OCC" accessories that were introduced shortly after the bikes hit the market.

___H said:
The dice valve caps are stock. The bag is not, but was part of a line of "OCC" accessories that were introduced shortly after the bikes hit the market.

Factory aftermarket accesories... cool.

I am thinking that I really want another back wheel now, I have an idea. :idea:

yoothgeye said:
___H said:

Factory aftermarket accesories... cool.

I am thinking that I really want another back wheel now, I have an idea. :idea:

I had the same idea a while back. 8)

Chopped and stretched an OCC frame, changed the rake to keep the original fork length and modified the triple trees to fit the wide tire. And a few other things.. :mrgreen:

___H said:

Chopped and stretched an OCC frame, changed the rake to keep the original fork length and modified the triple trees to fit the wide tire. And a few other things.. :mrgreen:

I want to cut off the rear triangle and weld it to a 20" BMX bike in place of it's rear triangle. Then modify a BMX style fork and run the same wheel tire (minus free wheel) up front. Use the Stingray bottom bracket to clear the wheel and have a nice soft sand beach bike.

yoothgeye said:
___H said:

I want to cut off the rear triangle and weld it to a 20" BMX bike in place of it's rear triangle. Then modify a BMX style fork and run the same wheel tire (minus free wheel) up front. Use the Stingray bottom bracket to clear the wheel and have a nice soft sand beach bike.

I've had similar ideas. Unfortunately, I don't have the talent to make it happen myself, nor the cash to pay for it to happen otherwise..

Exactly, basically a mini Pugsley, the only missing piece is the extra tire, I can make up everything else. Maybe I can use a coaster hub as a jackshaft and put a track gear on the wheel hub for real simplicity... until the track hub spins off under hard braking. haha I think I'll stick with the included V-brake.

Where can I find that extra wheel/tire?

yoothgeye said:
Exactly, basically a mini Pugsley, the only missing piece is the extra tire, I can make up everything else. Maybe I can use a coaster hub as a jackshaft and put a track gear on the wheel hub for real simplicity... until the track hub spins off under hard braking. haha I think I'll stick with the included V-brake.

Where can I find that extra wheel/tire?

choppersus.com if you want new. I've also found them on eBay from time to time, as well as other bike parts sites.

___H said:
choppersus.com if you want new. I've also found them on eBay from time to time, as well as other bike parts sites.

Yeah, but I gave $20 for the whole bike, I doubt chopperus or ebay would be that generous to me.

yoothgeye said:
___H said:

Yeah, but I gave $20 for the whole bike, I doubt chopperus or ebay would be that generous to me.

True.. :mrgreen:

Time to find another one at a yard sale. Or get lucky on craigs. I scored one on eBay (local pickup only). I need to post it up. Had plans for it, but my oldest son has laid claim to it..

___H said:
Time to find another one at a yard sale. Or get lucky on craigs. I scored one on eBay (local pickup only). I need to post it up. Had plans for it, but my oldest son has laid claim to it..

Just picked up a 16" version from someone's trash with a girl's 20" next bicycle, both basically rideable, but I will be pulling the chopper bike apart for parts. The rear wheel is wide, but I don't think it'll work like I want it to, but I could try.

Here's the baby chopper I just nabbed tonight:

IMG_4297.jpg

Isn't it cute. I had actually been looking for one of these for a while for the triple tree fork, but I gave up and built my own for the build off, glad I did, I like my clamps a lot better.

I have one of those, too. Purple. Still has training wheels on it. My oldest rode it when he was learning.

___H said:
I have one of those, too. Purple. Still has training wheels on it. My oldest rode it when he was learning.

My 4 year old learned to ride a couple weekends ago, I don't think he can handle the way this thing rides. The big one feels really spooky with that rake on the front end. I let some neighborhood kids ride the big one yesterday and they loved it, then I let one of my high schoolers ride it, 6 foot, 285 pounds, he liked it too.

I like having odd balls around for people to try out.

I just got one of these (16" and red) for my little guy to ride this summer. He's 3. It's in good shape and comes with the little fat training wheels, but when fall comes I'm gonna clean it up and paint it.

Latest posts

Back