Stiff Pedal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a new pair of retro styled cruiser pedals online for cheap and one doesn't spin hardly at all. Before chucking them or fooling with a return, is there any way to loosen it up? They are riveted together rather than bolted. I poured a little 30wt motor oil in it but it's still pretty stiff.

Thanks

Probably a manufacturing defect. It might work in and be alright, but I would return it for a good pair.

Look for an alignment problem of the pedal blocks relative to the pedal spindle. Usually one side took a hit, bending the end plates that the pedal blocks attach to. Both end plates should be 90 degrees ( square ) to the spindle, and the blocks equal distance to the crank. Use the working pedal as a visual guide.

Phil's response got me thinking. Then I thought up this idea...

I rummaged through my socket set and found one that fit over the end of the pedal and then rigged a way to connect that socket to my cordless drill. After another squirt or two of 30w motor oil, and about five minutes of off and on, forward and back running, both pedals now spin like they should. :thumbsup:
20170916_083616.jpg
20170916_083639.jpg

Latest posts

Back