Stella, with tank and crown motif (Ah, so it's a Stelber)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of "Stella" branded bikes, and the only info on that name is French racing bike. The tires are from Germany.
Anyone here ever seen one of these? Probably just re-branded, but from which manufacturer?
The color is much nicer in real life - more saturated, and goes with the rust-orange- faded red spectrum pretty well....

M1500100.JPG

M1500110.JPG

Re: Stella, with tank and crown motif

Sure looks like a Ross, I'm not sure of year, I'll guess 50's.

Re: Stella, with tank and crown motif

LarzBahrs said:
It could also be a stelbler to I think, the last l looks a bit like a b :eek:

I think you are on to something --- Stelber it is.

A quick google result says they are of poor quality, but I was impressed with how smoothly it still steered/rolled and held air after being warehouse for probably decades.
I'll know more when I break it down I guess.

thanks for the insight!

...here's my Stelber...looks like you got another to surface..
DSCN13321.jpg
DSCN13281.jpg

...pretty distinctive chainguard, same crank....sorry for poor pic

Stelber was just a badge name for an importer out of NYC. Most of the bikes they sold were made in Austria, but obviously they sourced a few from neighbors Cahin Bike Corp., makers of ross. -adam

Nice, Oddified - looks like yours is in a bit better condition. Is the front light original to the bike?

As Ratrod, said, they have nice lines. i like the way the top bar goes straight as it leaves the seat tube - kind of sleek 1960s touch.
And the chain guard having the abstract shapes instead of the more common brand/model is pretty unusual.

Rustinkerer said:
Stelber was just a badge name for an importer out of NYC. Most of the bikes they sold were made in Austria, but obviously they sourced a few from neighbors Cahin Bike Corp., makers of ross. -adam

Well, that makes everyone in the thread right about some things! :D
I was unfamiliar with Ross, besides knowing the name and seeing later road bikes, but totally clueless on the Stelber bit. Now I know Iverson used Stelber as well, and the famous George Barris "Kool Kustom" bikes of my youth.
Eddie Munster's bike, takes me back.

gotta love how internet searches can bounce one around....

bprophet said:
Nice, Oddified - looks like yours is in a bit better condition. Is the front light original to the bike?

As Ratrod, said, they have nice lines. i like the way the top bar goes straight as it leaves the seat tube - kind of sleek 1960s touch.
And the chain guard having the abstract shapes instead of the more common brand/model is pretty unusual.
...thank you...no, neither light is original, the fender light is a newer aftermarket...the generator light was my Dad's when he was a kid in the mid 60's...I agree tho the chainguard is what really caught my eye right off the bat...they sure did built these a little quirky, it doesn't have the same kinda "feel" to it as the other bikes I have, the quality just doesn't seem to be there :roll: ...

Latest posts

Back