BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice but one minor problem, when you clip a baseball card to the fork to thwap the spokes it will go thwap (pause) thwap (pause) thwap instead of thwap, thwap, thwap

Ah man, you're right.
How about if I made it go "shaboinnnnnng,,,,,,,,,,,,shaboinnnnnng,,,,,,,,,,,,shaboinnnnnng,,,,,,,,,,,,shaboinnnnnng,,,,,,,,,,,,"

doorstop.gif

This is one of my favorite pictures of the bunch. Great looking build.

Yeah, I am looking forward to getting the rack and guard installed.

index.php

Here are a few more 1st test ride pics.

20200614_203945.jpg
20200614_191534.jpg
20200614_205004.jpg
20200614_193018.jpg

I know it's someone else's paint, and it can't be the final thing, but ...., it looks good

I agree. Paint and finish wise, the current setup that I was riding around on looks good together. I still doubt that I will keep the orange, but I am not ruling it out as I did before. But there is more to the build than what was on it for this ride, so I will reevaluate when the build is more complete. Then I will decide of color and finish. Gotta finish building the beastie and then see what it tells me it wants to wear.

If I do keep the orange, I may just have to break out my last pair of Kenny chess pieces to use as valve caps like I did on Fugsley.

1592340160946.png

1592340236445.png

Curious, What size is the tire on that occ stingray wheel? 16x???

MO FATTA MO BETTA Fugsley Flashback
Wow, this was almost 9 years ago!!!

You can follow the whole Motorcycle Tire Size journey starting here
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...o-betta-believe-it-or-not-traded.44315/page-7
The tires I ended up using were Harley Davidson Dunlop
D402F MT 90 B 16 72H and it's dimensions are:
Inside Diameter = 16"
Outside Diameter = 25"
Outside Width (bead to bead) =3"
Outsude Width = 5"

1592349226375.png

Here it is mounted next to a stock OCC 20x4 tire.

1592349312404.png

Here is what became Fugsley, and where I created the term MO FATTA MO BETTA

1592349431334.png

1592349704872.png

Last edited:
MO FATTA MO BETTA Fugsley Flashback
Wow, this was almost 9 years ago!!!

You can follow the whole Motorcycle Tire Size journey starting here
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...o-betta-believe-it-or-not-traded.44315/page-7
The tires I ended up using were Harley Davidson Dunlop
D402F MT 90 B 16 72H and it's dimensions are:
Inside Diameter = 16"
Outside Diameter = 25"
Outside Width (bead to bead) =3"
Outsude Width = 5"
Love the name. I recall my brother calling our pug that once.

Thanks on the size, I have an old electric stingray that got cut up a couple years ago and need to build something with the back half.

One thing I haven't had a chance to mention about my first test ride is the fact that I discovered very abruptly that there isn't enough tire clearance for the springer fork to compress correctly. As I was leaving Forsyth Park (where the fountain is) and the wheel hit the dip onto the road, the fork locked on to the tire and IMMEDIATELY brought the front of the bike the a COMPLETE STOP. I was probably going less than 4 MPH, but it threw most of me over the bars. I landed hands first with the lower half of my body at the bars. Only a bruised shin.

I still continued to ride the bike for an hour after that, just making sure not to hit any bumps.

Well tonight I finally had time to get out and check the geometry to find the reason for the clearance issue.

If you look at my starsNbars Girvin for reference, you will see the two arms that go from the steer tube to the fork are straight or angle down and the fork legs are the same angle as the headtube and there is a ton of space between the steertube yoke and the tire.

WP_20140803_14_25_14_Pro.jpg

Now look at the same areas on SteamRoller. Both swing arms angle up and the yoke is really close to the tire. This is because the head tubes on Twin Bars are extra long, so while the Girvin fork fits the frame, it can't fit it properly and operate. Even if I replace the spring with a solid pipe, the fork legs would still angle back at a different angle than the headtube.

20200617_194840.jpg

As I was eplaining this to Dr. T, I remembered that bighit broke his hand or wrist when he built out this frame and fork combo. I was thinking that it had something to do with the handbrake he had setup, but I bet it was the fork locking on the tire when it compressed. So we determined that this fork is cursed for this frame like Greg's tiki charm was in Hawaii. So I have made the decision that I need to exorcise this demon fork from this frame.

brady.png

I
One thing I haven't had a chance to mention about my first test ride is the fact that I discovered very abruptly that there isn't enough tire clearance for the springer fork to compress correctly. As I was leaving Forsyth Park (where the fountain is) and the wheel hit the dip onto the road, the fork locked on to the tire and IMMEDIATELY brought the front of the bike the a COMPLETE STOP. I was probably going less than 4 MPH, but it threw most of me over the bars. I landed hands first with the lower half of my body at the bars. Only a bruised shin.

I still continued to ride the bike for an hour after that, just making sure not to hit any bumps.

Well tonight I finally had time to get out and check the geometry to find the reason for the clearance issue.

If you look at my starsNbars Girvin for reference, you will see the two arms that go from the steer tube to the fork are straight or angle down and the fork legs are the same angle as the headtube and there is a ton of space between the steertube yoke and the tire.

View attachment 125903

Now look at the same areas on SteamRoller. Both swing arms angle up and the yoke is really close to the tire. This is because the head tubes on Twin Bars are extra long, so while the Girvin fork fits the frame, it can't fit it properly and operate. Even if I replace the spring with a solid pipe, the fork legs would still angle back at a different angle than the headtube.

View attachment 125904

As I was eplaining this to Dr. T, I remembered that bighit broke his hand or wrist when he built out this frame and fork combo. I was thinking that it had something to do with the handbrake he had setup, but I bet it was the fork locking on the tire when it compressed. So we determined that this fork is cursed for this frame like Greg's tiki charm was in Hawaii. So I have made the decision that I need to exorcise this demon fork from this frame.

View attachment 125912
I think another springer like the one on the back would flow nicely. Do what ya got to do.

Latest posts

Back