Starting out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Im looking for suggestions on getting started in the hobby of classic bikes. I was into bmx since the early 80s and now want to try 1930s to 1950s bikes but know nothing about bikes earlier than the 70s. I was thinking of picking up one of these two bikes to get started with. The Monach in red is firm at $90 and the JC is $40. Not sure which is more collectible. The JC is closer and thought I could fix it up and sell it or part it out. The Monarch caught my eye to fix up or make a klunker out of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180314-082848.png
    Screenshot_20180314-082848.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_20180314-081634.png
    Screenshot_20180314-081634.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
I acquired two (2) post war Snyders, before I learned that girls/ladies bikes should cost lest than boys/mens.
Both bikes shown, I would say 1960s, (often middleweight).
The girls Murray-built might even be called a "space" bike.
Both bikes look nice as is (except missing seat); prices fair.

Welcome to RRB!

They are both probably early to mid-60s. The Monark is after being bought out by Huffy...so it is Huffy built. The girls bike does look like a spaceliner, or variant...thanks to TRM's convertible tanks they can be considered somewhat desirable on this site, but personally I still see girls bikes as a collection of parts for a real bike :). Price wise, they seem about right. Around here the girls bike would have an equivalent asking price to that Monark...but, it would sit on CL forever while the Monark would probably be bought in a couple to few weeks.

Just keep an eye out on the for sale section, the various classifieds apps, and the ebay and you'll run across something that fits the bill.

Jason

Latest posts

Back