"Stainless" Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Stainless"

Thanks guys :D I finally got the tires mounted on the rims, and got the speedo painted to match the headlight. Here is a trick that I use to mount tires on freshly painted rims. I use freezer waxed paper to protect the paint. I put the waxed side against the rim, and work the tire over it.

IMG01493.jpg

I'm really glad I chose this Green, although the engine paint was hard to work with. I think the sparkle vinyl is going to look good on the old Troxel. Tom

IMG01499.jpg

I'm hoping to get the bike finished this weekend. I found a tail light and painted it up, and I want to put LED's into it. I recovered the seat tonight. This vinyl is hard to work with, and I didn't do to good of a job with the padding so I'm going to re-do it again but the vinyl looks cool. Here are a couple of pictures. Tom

IMG01505.jpg

IMG01501.jpg

IMG01503.jpg

IMG01502.jpg

The headlight works great. I'm using one of those little LED keychain lights for the tail light. I don't know how long the little batteries will last, and I still need to wire a switch for it, but I mounted it on the bike anyway. I finished up the front fender, and got it mounted along with the head light. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but I'm thinkin' the clearance of the front fender to the tire might give me some trouble with the springer. The back tire is super tight up into the rear fender with about a 1/4" of clearance. I hope I don't need to add another link to the chain because I like the way it looks. The seat needs to be finished, and I need to figure out some type of laid back seat post because I don't like the riding position. It currently has what I call a Schwinn type seat post that goes from 13/16" to 5/8" at the top. The seat has 5/8' guts. Any Ideas??? Oh yea, I have officially become a victim of "Springer fork paint chips" Ugggggh! :roll:

IMG01589.jpg

IMG01618.jpg

IMG01616.jpg

IMG01604.jpg

IMG01610.jpg

IMG01608.jpg

IMG01617.jpg

Re: "Stainless" New Pictures

I'm glad there are some real talented guys and gals her. Very nice job on this build. I have the same bike under the cold snow that needs to be built like this one.

Re: "Stainless" New Pictures

I took it for a ride down the road today, and it's very smooth. I purposely hit a few bumps, and the tires clear the fenders fine. :D
The riding position is way to far forward. I can't wait to get the seat moved down and back.
I bent a piece of 5/8" bar stock at a 90, and it's a perfect fit into the old seatpost. I'll get it welded on Monday.
The seat is very stable and comfortable, but the guts still need to be painted.

Here are a couple of pictures from today.

IMG01631.jpg

IMG01632.jpg

IMG01633.jpg

IMG01637.jpg

Re: "Stainless" almost completed!

I got the seat mounted onto the new post, and the riding position is waaaay better. I'll trim the excess off of the post after I figure out how far back I want the seat. I also drilled and tapped some holes where the springer chipped the paint on the frame, and screwed in some button allen head screws for stops. I'm hoping the snow will melt so I can go for a ride!
IMG01650.jpg

IMG01649.jpg

IMG01657.jpg

IMG01658.jpg

Latest posts

Back