"Stainless" Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm starting to build up my late '60's Murray built twin top tube Sears.
It will feature a springer front end, ape hangers, 175mm Sugino one piece
cranks, and fat/skinny White wall tires.
I'm very pleased with the rust-oleum appliance epoxy in Stainless Steel. The frame
paint came out very nice! I'm still undecided on a wheel color... Cherry Red, Orange, or
a dark Green. Here are some pictures of my progress. Tom :D

IMG01379-1.jpg

IMG01361.jpg

IMG01391.jpg

IMG01382-1.jpg

In Primer
IMG01404.jpg

IMG01411.jpg

IMG01408.jpg

Re: "Stainless"

Looks really nice!
My $.02, I like that light green behind the painted frame. I'd do the wheels in that color w/ black or creme pinstripes on'em. Brown grips and saddle. Money.

Thanks! I'm not going to get caught takin' the wife's bike apart Dr. T! I decided on Green for the wheels. Tailwinds, I think some black stripes on the wheels would look good too. I've got a big old Troxel springer that I will be using along with some new Schwinn silver sparkle grips. Somebody had the seat apart and sprayed the pan and springs black, but it wasn't re-assembled correctly. I'm using Duplicolor Detroit Diesel Alpine Green engine paint for the wheels. I also grabbed a headlight off of one of the bikes behind the garage and painted it up with the Detroit Green and Stainless. Tom

IMG01417.jpg

An argument with the Mrs. is the LAST thing I want to cause a fellow rat-rodder! :roll: :mrgreen:
I have enough 'bike discussions' on my end for the whole group... :roll:

That green is great, I too will be scoring a can of that Stainless paint.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Well, I had a major setback this afternoon :( The Duplicolor doesn't get along with the Rustoleum primer... I set everything up, and shot the primed and sanded wheel with the Green. It looked great for about 2 minutes, and then started to wrinkle up. I believe the neighbors a mile down the road heard me yelling :x So, I'll let it dry overnight and strip it tomorrow. I've got some aluminum parts to polish tonight to keep me busy. Tom

:shock: Great color combo, I´m loving those holes on the fender.
Explain to me again how you´re making those?
I get the concept but never seen it being done.

The knock out punch works like this...
You need to drill a pilot hole for the bolt of the punch to go through.
IMG01444.jpg

Thread the cutting die onto the bolt
IMG01445.jpg

Tighten it until the blade completely cuts through the metal.
IMG01446.jpg

IMG01447.jpg

I'm heading out to the shop right now to cut some holes! Here is the fender all laid out. Tom :D
IMG01450.jpg

There you go! Now I get it!never seen that before, thanks for explaining it!
That fender is gonna look awesome!

I finished up the fender this evening, and I'm very happy with the results. It still needs to be soaked in Oxalic acid to clean it up. The front rim is ready for paint, and I'm re-assembling the rear wheel coaster hub tonight. I still need to rebuild and recover the seat, but I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. Here are some pictures of the fender. Tom

IMG01452.jpg

IMG01460.jpg

IMG01457.jpg

IMG01459.jpg

IMG01454.jpg

That fender is sweet, looks like the heat shield from a machine gun. That would make a sick military theme bike.

Yep, I was right, fender does look great! and yep, It does look like a Browning machine gun heat cover, I like it!! :wink:

Wont keep your butt dry, but sure looks killer! :lol:

You got to be an electrician or something, because nobody has that tool laying around. :lol: Was a really cool idea. Turned out nice.

Latest posts

Back