Prewar Savage - Tank & rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stacy's Savage (update 7/12)

awesome! get it painted! :mrgreen:

Re: Stacy's Savage

Critter1 said:
davy B said:
im very jealous of that lamp, i got one of those exact ones at a garage sale but its missing the badge, glass piece and has a bunch of dents, im liking this build so far, it something i have always wanted to do for my GF
Thank you! Yea, I'm have a blast building this for my lady. I've put my other bike projects aside so I can concentrate on this one for her.

The only thing thats missing with this light is the arm to mount it with. Luckily I have another set of forks coming that has a built in headlight mount. I cant wait to get them painted up and mount that light!! :D
yeah, i see the pics, looks great, its amazing how a lamp can round out the look of an entire bike, the bike im building right now i had to jimmy-rig a lamp mount. the build is looking real good, i love how nice you got the badge looking. i hope you get some more blue to level out the chain guard (onless you are gonna paint it)

davy B said:
Critter1 said:
davy B said:
im very jealous of that lamp, i got one of those exact ones at a garage sale but its missing the badge, glass piece and has a bunch of dents, im liking this build so far, it something i have always wanted to do for my GF
Thank you! Yea, I'm have a blast building this for my lady. I've put my other bike projects aside so I can concentrate on this one for her.

The only thing thats missing with this light is the arm to mount it with. Luckily I have another set of forks coming that has a built in headlight mount. I cant wait to get them painted up and mount that light!! :D
yeah, i see the pics, looks great, its amazing how a lamp can round out the look of an entire bike, the bike im building right now i had to jimmy-rig a lamp mount. the build is looking real good, i love how nice you got the badge looking. i hope you get some more blue to level out the chain guard (onless you are gonna paint it)
I agree, there's something very cool about a vintage headlight on a bike. It definitely rounds it out. I haven't checked yet, but I'm wondering if there's is a LED replacement for that old style light bulb... hmmmm
Yeah the chainguard will be painted to match the green/yellow of the bike. I think I'll do a gray stripe (same gray as rims and seat pan) along the length of the guard just to blend those two colors together. The forks will get the same treatment. :D

Re: Stacy's Savage (update 7/12)

I've been doing some research (since my plane is three hours delayed out of Colombus) and originally I thought this Savage was sold as a Ladies Hawthorne. It seems it was made by DP Harris, and a model from 1940. I knew the year based on the serial number on the BB, but could never pin point how it was originally sold. I would love to see a catalogue or ad depicting this bike for sale WITH the Savage head tube badge. rms37 has been a huge help in the past so I hope he'll come in here and confirm this for me. :D

Also found this. DP Harris Hardware & Manufacturing Co had the patent on the Savage name until 1947 and Rollfast until 1974. Just some cool info...
http://www.trademarkia.com/company-d-p-harris-hardware--manufacturing-co-313858-page-1-2

Re: Stacy's Savage (Is it a Rollfast?)

OK Ok.... Now that I've pondered this from time to time over the past couple days. DP Harris manufactured several bikes under several different names (patents). Right? Rollfast being one of the more popular and longer lasting of them. Savage was just another model name they used on identical bikes that carried different names, ie: Rollfast, Hawthorne, etc. I've seen Rollfast, Hawthorne, and Savage badged bikes... all with identical frames. So the the answer to my original question would be that this bike I'm building is and always was a "Savage" period :lol:. Savage was a model name that apparently (since you never see them) did not last very long. Maybe because of the "not so PC" depiction of a native american indian in full head dress AND the word "Savage" below it. That to me is a logical conclusion. Man my brain hurts :lol:

I'm a sucker for researching this historic stuff!!

Re: Stacy's Savage (Is it a Rollfast? No its a Savage)

Love the way this bike is coming together! :D I need to build something for my lady pretty soon! Actually, I have a Keystone frame that's pretty similar to your savage. I have the Rollfast book linked above, it's a great book! I think some of DPH's badges were made for certain stores. -Adam

I was able to finish up Stacy's Savage to 99% completion over the weekend. The front double drop center rim is now painted and its at College Cyclery being laced up! The NOS front fender we originally painted for the bike turned out to be for a 24". So the original front fender (which I thought was beyond repair) was straightened with some TLC by hand and turned out to only have 3 or 4 small dents that needed fixing. Im glad too since its a match to the rear, as well as the braces. They all have part numbers on them. I think its 'BF26" or something like that. Also had to put a pressing on each side of the fender to clear the inside of the forks. The pressings turned out to be about 1/4" each. Weird, because they were originally just shoved in there causing both sides of the fender to bend in. (Ugly) So either... thats the way they were originally built, or should I say "slammed together" or they aren't original to this bike. Either way, both fenders fit like a glove now and look amazing!
Also painted the new "straight" forks, as well as the chain guard. We decided to incorporate the gray color from the rims and seat pan/springs into the stripe on the chain guard. It certainly ties the colors scheme together IMO.
I picked up a tail light on Saturday at the Arco Arena swap meet. Its off some old unknown model car. The original bracket that was riveted to the housing was lengthened to make it mount nicely and now it looks like it belongs on the bike. Its just mocked up for now until I can get a LED light set up for it. The hole in the bottom of the housing was where the original automotive bulb mount was. That hole will make a good place for a mini toggle switch...

Here is the taillight housing after it was blasted. You can see the original length of the bracket.
IMG02023-20100802-1405.jpg

The lens was scratched and dull, so I scuffed it up and clear coated it. Looks new now :D
IMG02025-20100802-1406.jpg

Painted and mounted!
IMG_7152R.jpg

Re: Stacy's Savage - DONE and she loves it!! (pics)

Stacy absolutely loves her new 70 year old cruiser!! I'll have some pics of her riding it this weekend!! :D

It went from this.......
IMG_3268R.jpg

To this!!! :D
IMG_7142R.jpg

IMG_7137R.jpg

IMG_7143R.jpg

IMG_7146R.jpg

IMG_7147R.jpg

IMG_7139R.jpg

IMG_7148R.jpg

Shes a soccer player!! I thought this vintage bell (along with the stars) would be a nice touch.
IMG_7140R.jpg

Nice detail on the stem.
IMG_7154R.jpg

IMG_7144R.jpg

IMG_7134R.jpg

IMG_7150R.jpg

Re: Stacy's Savage - DONE and she loves it!!

Thanks for all the positive comments! This was the first bike I've built from start to finish. I wanted to put 110% into this thing for my girl! Where ever possible I used stainless allen head hardware and rebuilt any original hardware that was needed. I wanted it to be bright and colorful without going overboard so I think I succeeded there. The ONLY black you'll find on the bike is the valve stems, thats it... Well, now its time to build one for me so we can ride together!!!

yeah those black valve stems just screw up the whole thing ...LOL what brand and color of paint did ya use ? very nice bike

mikesbikes36 said:
yeah those black valve stems just screw up the whole thing ...LOL what brand and color of paint did ya use ? very nice bike
Yea I think I'll paint those ugly valve stems white.. haha!!

Its base coat/clear coat automotive paint. I wanted to paint it VW mango green, but when I went to the paint store the Mango Green was darker than I had visioned, so out came the paint chip book!! I chose this color from pages and pages of green. Someone called it "Sweet Pea Green" which seems fitting, however it turned out a little more yellow than I originally planned. It looks great though, and definitely has that vintage look to it.

Latest posts

Back