Prewar Savage - Tank & rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I found this last summer sitting behind a gas station and talked the old man out of it. I've decided to tear it down now and rebuild it for my girlfriend (Stacy)..
Plans are simple. It will be a light green with white tires and some gray/silver parts. It'll have a front basket and fenders. It'll have to just evolve as it goes...

IMG_3268R.jpg

IMG_3262R.jpg

IMG_3270R.jpg

Re: Stacy's Savage

First thing i did was tear apart the wheels. Im going to use the prewar black new departure hubs. However, I'd like to use NON-skiptooth chain and sprockets. My question is: Did they make regular tooth rear sprockets for these hubs?
IMG_7024R_2.jpg

IMG_7025R_2.jpg

IMG_7026R_2.jpg

This is the sprocket I want to use. Stacy has a tattoo of stars on her foot, so I think its fitting :D
Picture1_2_2.jpg

nice match huh... :mrgreen:
IMG01868-20100708-0910.jpg

Parts I need: Womens handle bars, neck, old school womens seat and front basket...

That badge is kick .... Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

glad to see this one is finally getting done up! and ND hubs did have cogs that come off easily, just take off the lockrings. :wink:

Parts are stacking up!! :D Just picked up this bunch. I'm going to polish the neck and attempt to polish the bars as well (both are aluminum). Hopefully they'll come out nice.

ped1230c.jpg

bars1119a.jpg

neck817a.jpg

grips111a.jpg

deorman said:
That's a snap ring sprocket, your existing is threaded. I might have one, it may take a day or 2 to find, probably a 20t though.
That's great! Yea let me know if u find one. I didn't even consider the snap ring as opposed to the threaded hub. Good call. A 20t is fine for now until I can find a 24t. Thanks!!

Went down to Vintage Bike Supply today to have the forks straightened. He put his cool contraption on the frame that was a converted car jack. Pulled the forks into place no problem!!

I also needed one double drop center rim...which he didn't have :( ... The bike had one DDC rim and one smooth rim as you can see in the pic. If anyone has one they wanna part with, please let me know. I'll also place a wanted ad for one:
IMG_7026R_2.jpg

Who likes VW colors? This bike is gonna be Mango Green like this bus. Im going this friday to sandblast everything and pick up a quart of Mango-licious paint. A matching double drop center rim is on its way too. The rims will be grey. I'm excited about this bike for Stacy!! I just need to get a solid day on it to make some progress! I told her I got a sprocket with stars on it.... She said "whats a sprocket?" haha I love it! :lol:
209985.jpg

Spent some time on Stacy's bike this weekend at my buddy's shop.

I should get some kind of award for having the crustiest frame on the planet!! I can count FOUR layers of paint, with the white layer being house paint. :roll:
IMG_7032R.jpg

Some paint stripper and sand blasting cleaned this 70 year old frame up nicely.
IMG_7050R.jpg

The original front fender was hackered and un-repairable. I found (randomly) a NOS front fender at a yard sale that was almost an exact match to the original :shock:. Perfect dent free. The original rear fender was repairable. A little metal finishing and filler and looks good as new.
IMG_7044R.jpg

IMG_7048R.jpg

Got the Persons seat stripped apart, blasted and painted. Now just need to get a piece of white/grey leather and recover it.
IMG_7041R.jpg

The aluminum Monark Sliver King bars I picked up were very ugly when they arrived. With some sanding and polishing, they're good as new. Here they are with one half polished.
IMG_7058R.jpg

Heres what had to be done for the NOS front fender to fit. The edges needed pressed in a little on each side. The mounting point on the forks was off center too..
IMG_7040R.jpg

Fenders sanded and ready for paint!!
IMG_7075R.jpg

IMG_7079R.jpg

Fender braces straightened, blasted, and painted!
IMG_7081R.jpg

Heres what we did for the drop out screws. Since the originals have a thread pitch thats non existent anymore, and therefore a tap for that pitch is too. We rethreaded them with a 6mm pan head screws and cut the phillips head off and loc-tighted cap nuts on. Came out slick i think.
IMG_7076R.jpg

And finally PAINT!! The color is a little more yellow than I was wanting.... Oh well, it still has a vintage look to it. Its somewhere between a green and a yellow. One rim and seat pan/springs were painted grey but I didn't get pics of them..
IMG_7084R.jpg

IMG_7085R.jpg

IMG_7089R.jpg

IMG_7090R.jpg

IMG_7088R.jpg

IMG_7091R.jpg

Latest posts

Back