....Springer Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to build a springer (or strut) fork for my Kona Humu klunker. There's some great forks in here but I notice most are used without a front brake.

I need a front brake for the riding I do on my Humu. I currently run a disc brake.

The bent leg style of fork like on the bike with the greenwall tyre up there^^ looks like it'd be fairly easy to build and certainly easier to attach a disc brake too than the linkage style forks as the fork leg stays in the same place relative to the hub (and therefor disc rotor) but given how they pivot, I imagine they'll try and rip themselves apart under braking.

Also I've fitted a fork like this to a friends beach cruiser and I guess you could have described it as noodley, very noodley!

I guess any linkages and pivots are going to add in a degree of flexibility over a rigid or telescopic suspension fork eh?

I have a pile of rigid forks and a couple cheap full suspension mtb frames that I can chop up so I'm thinking I could use the pivot and shock from one of the frames to build something like the Norton fork from page 1,

P1240299_zps538d2ca4.jpg

Here's the Humu the fork will be for, the dual crown fork has already been ditched, it was undersprung and has been replaced with a single crown marzocchi fork now,

_MG_3154_zpsbwo3hxtt.jpg

My rat trap fork. Fairly common when I was a kid. The moving parts are durable, but the rigid portion of the fork had a tendency to fail after kids tried to do Evel Knievel jumps with them.
-The rigid portion of the fork on mine was very brittle so I had to reconfigure it. Before and after.
flightliner.jpg flt liner wheels.jpg

Had quite a challenge getting original Electra Ratrod fender to float with Sunlight front fork.
Ended up abusing a wide rear axle to clear the linkages, and fender washers of all things...

Shimano hydraulic was probably a mistake. Front hose was too short for my apehangers.
Rear hose was far too long, and I have no wish to invest in the tools to trim and bleed it.
Maybe could see better abuse as a remote whammy bar on my next headless guitar? But
then the same dilemma of wanting to trim the excess. Cable brake so much less hassle.

wrongaxle.png

Latest posts

Back