Springer fork flex with drum brake. Normal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I recently put together a shockmaster front fork and installed on my my current motorized bicycle project. I had to fabricate a couple little parts to complete it. The lower rods are threaded stainless steal and I custom made the bottom pieces where the wheel clamps from two nuts and a steel plate I cut. (hope that makes sense, don't know the proper terminology to describe.) Pictures show

Anyways, when I apply the brake (sturmy archer XL front drum brake) the lower part of the fork comes toward me and the fork flexes. Is this normal or a problem ? And if it's a problem do you have any ideas to solve it?

Sorry the picture is bad my camera has a broken lense.
7e100044882fb7f7f219defe8fe2af10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The only way I can see to avoid this issue and still have a vintage suspended front end would be to change the fork out to a Monark-style linkage fork or a girder off of a european tandem. There's a reason most springer forks don't have accommodations for front hub brakes.
EDIT: And if you are going to keep that fork, you may want to make sure that you have hardened/heat treated fasteners at the point where the fork pivots.

The only way I can see to avoid this issue and still have a vintage suspended front end would be to change the fork out to a Monark-style linkage fork or a girder off of a european tandem. There's a reason most springer forks don't have accommodations for front hub brakes.
EDIT: And if you are going to keep that fork, you may want to make sure that you have hardened/heat treated fasteners at the point where the fork pivots.
Would I be safe to assume the original pivot pins are sufficently hardened?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back