Spray chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Just spent 30 minutes watching a commercial between videos on YouTube about Spectra Chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a company here in Louisville that applies this stuff. I was looking into having this done on a modified grille for my car, but it was a bit too expensive to justify. Beautiful stuff, nonetheless.

I wondered about price.
I've seen a diy product that has to be ordered from the UK, it's a two part process using spray bottles. Couldn't cover a car, but would work well in the bicycle world.

The place in town charges $10×the longest linear measurement in inches.

My grill surround is roughly 30×15, so it was going to be $300 to have it chromed.

Here's the kooky thing about the pricing there: one of those giant plastic pixie straws would cost you more than a motorcycle helmet. So maybe there are other companies that price it by total surface area. In which case, a fender may not be that expensive.

If not, I assume the largest portion of the cost is in the time/service, rather than the material. In which case, it's simply a luxury I cannot afford.

I am a Snap-on franchisee and one of my customers who is a shop owner just got set up to do this. It looks awesome and I am seriously thinking about having a frame, crank, and handlebars done up in a color you never see - brown chrome...

I am a Snap-on franchisee and one of my customers who is a shop owner just got set up to do this. It looks awesome and I am seriously thinking about having a frame, crank, and handlebars done up in a color you never see - brown chrome...
That would be interesting to see.

It's pricey, ran across it with car resto. Some of the powder coats are pretty nice, with a clear powder they're pretty shiny, looks more like polished aluminum, doesn't have the bluish tint like chrome.

One of the reasons I messed with nickel plating, think I had less than $50 in the set up, getting a variable power supply at a good cost is the biggest thing.

I prefer the Alsa Chrome and color chromes for smaller things like bikes, their speed clear is one of the best clears i've ever used.

http://alsacorp.com/mirrachrome-reflective-paint/

I had been looking into this a couple of months ago for painting my new fiberglass saddles. I'm curious if you have used it yourself and if so how well did it work for you. From what I could tell it would look more like polished aluminum than chrome. That would be ok because I'm hoping to mimic the look of nickle plate more so than chrome.

8c02bbae02943c964194159af408a53e.jpg

Walmart bike "KROME"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had been looking into this a couple of months ago for painting my new fiberglass saddles. I'm curious if you have used it yourself and if so how well did it work for you. From what I could tell it would look more like polished aluminum than chrome. That would be ok because I'm hoping to mimic the look of nickle plate more so than chrome.

I have used this many times myself, however I don't think that it would hold up on a bicycle seat for a daily rider.
I've painted vehicle grills with it and it's held up very well to bugs and road debris. It does actually look more like chrome on surfaces that are polished off before you clear it and in areas that you can't polish before the clear coating, it looks like polished aluminum. The kit comes with a polishing cloth, and really it only takes a few wipes rather than you having to work at buffing or polishing like you would real chrome or aluminum.

For small parts, I thought that silver nitrate used to created mirrored objects might be the most economical way to go. The results are not very durable, so probably best limited to trim, light bezels, etc.

For small parts, I thought that silver nitrate used to created mirrored objects might be the most economical way to go. The results are not very durable, so probably best limited to trim, light bezels, etc.
That might be worth some experimenting, wonder if I can get silver nitrate locally.

That might be worth some experimenting, wonder if I can get silver nitrate locally.

I think photographers used to use it a lot, but who develops film or plates these days? The folks at AngelGuilding sell the needed chemicals online, separately or in kits...mostly for mirrors. For experimentation, one could probably buy the tiny refills for less than $40 and do some small objects. The process isn't too difficult, just meticulous. Because the delicate coating is actual silver, the surface needs to be sealed or it will tarnish.

http://angelgilding.com/mini-silver-kit.html/

Latest posts

Back