Sport Mag installations Instructions.... Don't touch that flange!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey Guys,
I have had this talk with another member before about mounting a Sport Mag to a Bendix Red Band hub. The instructions want you to take off the flange and move it until the holes line up. I will show you why you don't have to do this step. I mounted the first plate like they said with the company stamping facing in. Then I lined up the second plate like they say and you can see it is off. So instead of moving the flange I turned the second plate 2 spokes over and they match Perfect! You can see I turned the plate one more spoke and it almost lines up. There are 5 spokes and 2 sides so that is 10 different way to mount it. Only one of the 10 line up!
Skip the first pic to match the description.
20170622_083523.jpg
20170622_083057.jpg
20170622_083106.jpg
20170622_082448.jpg
20170622_082520.jpg
20170622_082634.jpg
20170622_082829.jpg
20170622_082930.jpg

Last edited:
Huh, I didn't know that it would work that way. I have always moved the flange ha!

Thanks for posting that! Nice mag too, is that from eBay? I see GWLW posting lots of them for sale.

Yes it is a Kool Stuff mag. I want to build a Stingray bike with it. It needs to be polished up some but is really nice. It will also serve as a template for the 2 speed hubs.

Don't polish it! I like the original plating on them, it has that old school look.

I have seen some post here (or maybe on The Cabe?) where some guys have chrome plated them.

I've been thinking about buying one also and downsizing a copy of it for a 16" front wheel to match one for the rear.

Don't polish it! I like the original plating on them, it has that old school look.

I have seen some post here (or maybe on The Cabe?) where some guys have chrome plated them.

I just meant clean it up really... I did see those mags on thecabe.com that were chrome and black chrome. I like my flat black mag. Looks similar to the Screamer mag.

I've been thinking about buying one also and downsizing a copy of it for a 16" front wheel to match one for the rear.

I made some cardboard templates to try and do just that. Problem is with the smaller wheel the plates bend in more and won't look right. The bigger the rim the less angle in has. If the hub was shorter it might work. Cut the hub down and Re weld it. Then it would work I think. You would just need some spacer or extra nut to make up the space on the Axle. Of course a new rim strip would need to be made. I can send you a paper copy of the plate so you can play around with the idea.

I've never owned (or even ridden a bike with one) but I hear the blue is much more suitable for a Muscle bike. What's the difference in the gearing?

How are these coming along? Are you making more for the Lester Mags? Maybe some 16" for front wheels too?

Would be great to mate with your Top Fueler forks!

16 inch wheel the angle from the hub to the rim is to much. You need to make a insert inside the rim. Like the mag wheel Screamer. I know someone who can machine a wheel or insert. Just need a design or something to copy from. I was thinking of a mag 16 x 1 3/8 and the
16 x 1.75 size. Someone had a insert for a 20 inch wheel on here or thecabe.

I always wanted a Mini Mag. Looks sort of like a go kart wheel but it was a 16" bicycle front wheel.

Check this 14 inch mag wheel out on Ebay

Search bicycle front wheel 14 x 1.75
The seller has other wheels for sale too. I was going to buy the 14 inch to go on my midget with the top fueler forks.

Latest posts

Back