Spoke gauge question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looking at building s 26" wheel set, or should I say having somebody, if I have hubs and rims that are drilled for 14 gauge, do I just drill the holes larger to accommodate the larger 12 gauge spikes and larger nipples? Are stainless 12 gauge spokes available?

Are you going 12g for looks? 14g stainless on 26" x 36h hoops are amazingly strong, like tandem strong. and obviously lighter. :wondering:

Drill away if you have enough material on your hub to do so.

You can find a bunch of 12g stainless spoke options on e-bay.
I myself prefer to use the Wheel Smith stainless spokes with brass nipples when i can get them.

I wouldn't do the rim out because there are 12g- compatible time available to buy. Save yourself the trouble of carefully drilling your time 72 times, and Dave yourself the effort of having your time crack from stress risers and Suchlike.

I'm not trying to argue If we was talking drilling out skinny road bike or cross country mountain bike rims, because yeah I'd stay away from drilling them out too. As far as cruiser or BMX steel or aluminum wheels go I have yet to ever have one crack on me from enlarging the holes for 12g spokes, I've always cleaned my drilled out holes with a grinder that typically fits on a Dremel just to ensure I don't have any burrs that going to poke holes in my tubes . I've only had to mind lacing up 12g spokes that its now easier to put more tension on the spokes and wheels, and not get carried away tightening down on them.

Here's a rim I drilled a few years ago for 12g spokes that I even messed up in grabbing the wrong size drill bit from the index and drilling the holes out larger than I was supposed to.
37333683575_e642794ce8_k.jpg

Last edited:
The rims and hubs I end up using will need to be drilled for sure, not to worried about the time it takes, its all in the details! After I get my hubs and rims, and drill them, I'll need to figure out spoke length and someone to lace them.

Latest posts

Back