Special 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I changed my build off bike to this build. It will be built to honor the Special 8, a straight eight motor made by Pontiac way back when. I thought only Buick and Oldsmobile made that motor, but Pontiac did too, and a special version was made for the Pontiac Bonneville Special sportscar. Only 2 were made. It was a two seater so my tandem frame, a 1963 Schwinn Bicycle Built for Two frame will work just fine.

A little background:

from wiki:

"At the General Motors Motorama for 1954, Pontiac debuted its all new Bonneville Special, a concept car envisioned by head designer Harley J. Earl. The concept was equipped with the "Special"-8, a high output 268-cubic-inch (4.39 L) engine that was painted bright red and detailed in chrome. This was a unique configuration for the "eight", installed in the only two Specials ever made."

35b7aza.jpg

Re: Bonneville Special

This frame (Bicycle Built For two) was only offered in 63 and 64, after that, they were called Twinns, both step through for both riders. It is tough to get off and on with a top bar. It was used in a previous build off, the Ratty Caddy. I need to get the wife riding again, and need something flashier this time around.

2dt8wux.jpg

A few parts, a new red banana seat and some "pipes" made for an earlier project that never worked out. I plan to use these for the intake stacks, not exhaust pipes. The exhaust pipes are going to be a much bigger undertaking.

29gmurs.jpg

Great parts and great inspiration.
Looking forward to seeing your take on this.

Re: Bonneville Special name change

I was reading through the builds and noticed a tandem build, with almost the same name as mine. Mine was started later, so the name change. I wanted to honor the special straight eight motor anyway, so that's now the name: Straight Eight Special.

Here are the forks I plan to use, from an Earth Cruiser I believe. I don't think I can get a 3" tire in the frame though, so it will have 2.125 tires of some kind.

255kop4.jpg

Frame is still hanging in the rafters waiting to be sandblasted:

wk807.jpg

Re: Bonneville Special name change

Wildcat said:
I was reading through the builds and noticed a tandem build, with almost the same name as mine. Mine was started later, so the name change. I wanted to honor the special straight eight motor anyway, so that's now the name: Straight Eight Special.

That's nice, (and so is your bike), but I have a better idea. Yours is named and themed for a famous Motorama show car, which really wouldn't get confused with a LSR streamliner, anyway.

Why don't you just add "Motorama" and make it the "Motorama Bonneville Special"?

Re: Special 8 (name change)

I did some more thinking and came up with Special 8, and I think it will suit this build just fine. The straight 8 itself was a great motor, and the special 8 was a hopped up version of it. Hot Rod all the way.

I think we have 3 or 4 tandems in the build off, but there are so many builds it's hard to keep up.

There are a lot of cool exhaust pipes going on in this year build off.
I actually have plans for some myself.

kingfish254 said:
There are a lot of cool exhaust pipes going on in this year build off.
I actually have plans for some myself.
Muahahahaha!!!

imagearchy said:
Are we going to see "double naner" seats on this ride.

That's the plan. If I can find an identical red seat and fab up some kind of support instead of a sissybar, I don't think a sissybar would look right on the front seat. Maybe something like the stingray tandem, but a full banana seat up front too.

2mff5hw.jpg

Great concept and inspiration 8) I hope that you need to get your wife riding again because you enjoy time with her and not for reasons she would not appreciate:lol: ( That part of your thread sounded a bit funny)Can't wait to see more :!:

I finally found a decent pic of the Special 8 motor. I guess it's time to go to work on it.

9gdfus.jpg

Hows your foot doing wildcat?

It's coming along, even with the walking and bike riding. I'll have 2 normal feet by the end of July. I had the new tightrope surgery done.

Still haven't done anything. That's changing tomorrow, all day is reserved for working on bikes. I'm going to paint 3 bikes in one day and do the packing for 2 others getting shipped.

The Special 8 gets a couple coats of bright red enamel tomoorow.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing it.

Still no work done. The old drill from 2006 finally gave up the ghost, so a new one along with a new paint removal wheel is ready to go. No excuses now.

34t78ee.jpg

Latest posts

Back