Spaceliner Tire Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, if I am using the original wheels on my Spaceliner, 26 x 1.75, what are my best options on tires and is there anything I need to be aware of when choosing a tire?

I was thinking about getting red tires possibly. What about the Duro BMX tires? Do they ride terrible? Or is their another option for colored tires?

Last edited:
Be aware that 26 x 2.125" balloon tires may not fit well with the fenders. The OEM Murray Ohio built wheels would be chrome steel rims, often with Komet coaster brake. The mounting provisions for fenders may have been sheet metal screws or an odd thread pitch, rather than through-bolting, (bolt and nut). The balloon tire option, without fenders may allow for many color options. Below is a picture of a Murray built "speed-weight" frame of same period, with Clay tires.
upload_2018-3-26_15-20-39.png

Brick (Schwinn) pattern front; Diamond (Goodyear) rear.

Other factors that I sometimes consider is price, and is it sold in USA. My first test drive on my 60's space bike was an increase to 1.9" tires. I had some Bell "Tread-Alert" slick tires hanging around then.
upload_2018-3-26_17-24-58.png

Even the 1.9's made fender alignment a chore, and they seemed less noisy, less vibration, but fairly stiff from a cushioning sense (higher pressure than 2.125's).
Can't beat Duro's for price tho.

If you're using the original wheels, you probably won't find many red tires that fit correctly.

Vintage 26" wheels aren't actually the same diameter as modern 26" wheels that use tires like 26x1.95 or 26x2.1.

Sheldon Brown's site [ http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html ] has all the details, but it mostly comes down to:

Brown's Law Of Tire Sizing:

If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal, but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction, these two tires will not be interchangeable.

I know people HAVE mounted the "wrong" size tires on wheels -- I put a modern decimal set on a rim that was too small and I could ride them once inflated, but I worried that the tire might roll off the rim if I cornered too hard! I found these other two RRB threads on the topic with a quick Google search: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/noob-tire-question-26x1-75.61726/

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/26x1-3-8-tires-question.5528/

I am stuck with keeping the fenders, at least the rear fender for now. The screws holding the rear fender on are rusted with little to no slot to actually use a screwdriver to remove. I tried to use a back-out bit but it won't bite and I broke off two metal cutting drill bits trying to drill them out.

Ya a couple good smacks with a cold chisel... should come right off.
Then you're just talking frame clearance which can be modified too.
2.125 will fit on a 1.75 rim and Duro do both. I like 2.125 or bigger on back and 1.75 on front, but clearance is the issue. You can stick any 26 inch wheel and tire from another bike with the size you're considering to check for clearances too. Like noted above just stay away from fractions or anything with S7 stamped on it...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back