Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, today’s ride is brought to you by brakes!!!

As most of my miles are on county roads and paved trails, I do have to negotiate traffic and lights on the first mile or two of any ride I take.

Today I went to turn my ride into an errand, putting my full ride in full urban mode riding on the shoulder of a 5/6 lane road.

On my way back, I about got hit by some kid making a fast left turn crossing 3 lanes of oncoming traffic to shoot into a Dominos parking lot. (He was only looking at road lanes and somehow missed me on the shoulder coming at him in my day glow yellow vest)

I’m not sure how I didn’t wreck. For a second or two, both my front and rear wheels were locked. My rear locked first, which I think is the only thing that kept me from biting it.

He missed me by a few feet max, if I hadn’t locked up, I would have t-boned him square in the passenger side door.
View attachment 134052View attachment 134051

And finally, I should have kept my mouth shut yesterday on the wind @ 11.

Flags pinned at 14 mph today. Headwind out, fortunately tailwind back.

13 more miles on the Raleigh: 306 MTD points
I hate when that happens. Your lucky, thats a beautiful bike to wreck,ha,ha. Where I ride is out in the country, woods. The roads have been paved this summer or the summer before so they are a real smooth pleasure. Major tourist traffic on the road that connects Lake Superior to Lake Michigan which is a fun ride but best to be avoided if possible right now. There are paved roads off this road that go anywhere from 15 to 30 miles one way. This is what I ride. 20 miles away there is a 5 mile dead end bike path that goes along Lake Superior from Munising to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. So I ride this sometimes. The bathing beauties make this short boring ride a little more fun. Glad your getting more fit. Your getting close to my weight. When I get down to 155 hill climbing becomes noticeably easier.

Figured you must have been utterly exhausted due to your age and aches. Again, a job well done! I agree, there is little comparison. The road bike is superior.... I added performance to compete with big wheels. Have the legs for it.

D25: Nada
D26: 64mi Stingray
D27: 56mi Stingray
120 + 579 = 699

Rode the Sabertooth for a 13.56 mph avg over 4:07:48. Completed the first 28mi with a 14 mph avg. Stopped briefly to tank up on the way back. Had fast company in both directions. The bike is building a reputation among riders.
The data is so corrupt this time that more than 18miles have been added.
View attachment 134014

28mi elevation profile. Day mileage is accurate within an fraction of a mile. GPS phone data is useless to me. Never cared enough about accuracy to invest in good gear...
View attachment 134015
Yeah, GPS phone data is a ballpark. Out and back rides give you a different distance each way. My phone GPS keeps shutting off as it thinks I have stopped on twisty trails. I ride Brunos Run single track with my phone and get 12+miles and with my magnetic pickup cyclometer I get 13 +. The Hiawatha National Forrest has it marked on some literature as 9 miles and on others as 10. They keep rerouting it and don’t add the new distance. By the way, I can ride from my house to Bruno’s Run on Forrest two tracks, about 4 miles. I only have to ride 200 yards of pavement across the Indian River bridge on the whole ride from home to Bruno’.

I exported the app data from my last ride to compare in gis software. Red is accurate, green is phone gps. Poor quality everywhere here.
uh ha.jpg

Thank you for hosting this event. It hasn't been a productive year. I didn't believe I would ride nearly as much this summer. I've lost 8Lbs, eating better than ever, notice an increase in stamina and discovered I can maintain a high cadence over long distance. Even found new ways to ride more efficiently. I'm more eager to pass the 20 mile mark now. Mostly I'm having fun.

Wising all participants well and to keep going.

Anecdote: On the way back the other day I felt something impeding pedaling. Thought it was a bottle in my front shorts pocket. Nothing in the pockets. It was my quadriceps, they've grown.

I hate when that happens. Your lucky, thats a beautiful bike to wreck,ha,ha. Where I ride is out in the country, woods. The roads have been paved this summer or the summer before so they are a real smooth pleasure. Major tourist traffic on the road that connects Lake Superior to Lake Michigan which is a fun ride but best to be avoided if possible right now. There are paved roads off this road that go anywhere from 15 to 30 miles one way. This is what I ride. 20 miles away there is a 5 mile dead end bike path that goes along Lake Superior from Munising to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. So I ride this sometimes. The bathing beauties make this short boring ride a little more fun. Glad your getting more fit. Your getting close to my weight. When I get down to 155 hill climbing becomes noticeably easier.
Ha-ha! Ironically, as I was locked up sliding almost into the kids door, the first thing that crossed my mind was; “I’m going to have to find a new wheel!”

The country roads scare me as much as the urban roads: some idiot could clip ya, drive off... no one knows....

I have upped my miles on paved trails over the years simply because my wife prefers I ride as few road and street miles as possible.

25 around the lake on the Raleigh; 318 MTD points.

what I had planned as a casual ride turned into a blistering 25 mile sprint as i ran into some trail friends who wanted to crank it up....

Rode entirely too fast, particularly for a rec’ trail. I’ll pay tomorrow.

This is literally “the end of the trail” on the lake. (12.6 miles from home) The extension is still being built to tie into the buffalo/Albany trail.
A71F38A2-5B61-4E77-B684-D33B79C6AD02.jpeg

You guys are in big trouble. 2000 is a really new bicycle to me. If I just ride every thing on hooks here one mile that's... 360 points, then I'll head to the barn.
FB_IMG_1567640019506.jpg
FB_IMG_1597895926490.jpg
FB_IMG_1597895930934.jpg
FB_IMG_1597895914253.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much. I can only ride about twenty miles any more. Like every three days

Last edited:
So, I’m not sure exactly what this is, but I do know it’s 5 points!

I actually built this bike for the event.... and it’s a royal pain!!!!

It was a rusted, crusted Murray built something. The guy I bought it off of swore it was a western flyer. The rust was so severe, no serial number could be made out.

Pulled all the working parts off a late model Huffy Women’s cruiser trash bike. I was really pumped about the 3 speed. -it may be great for cruising, but for working out, it’s horrible!!!! Can’t find a gear to fit my cadence. Mix that with wind and you’ve got a frustrating ride.

In any regard, it looks super cool. If not a great workout bike, definitely a cool cruiser.
10 mile ride + 5 bonus points: 333 MTD points!!
D2D6D8BC-1925-4653-B24B-2307B0B471A9.jpeg
87D3C951-3EE5-4643-978E-BFD79ECB2C3C.jpeg
EF7BE131-C26D-4B86-B12E-3BD555865DA4.jpeg

Ha-ha! Ironically, as I was locked up sliding almost into the kids door, the first thing that crossed my mind was; “I’m going to have to find a new wheel!”

The country roads scare me as much as the urban roads: some idiot could clip ya, drive off... no one knows....

I have upped my miles on paved trails over the years simply because my wife prefers I ride as few road and street miles as possible.
That’s why I ride as much gravel as possible. You hardly see any vehicles.

D28: 40mi Huffy Rail
D29: 33mi Huffy Rail
D30: 15mi Huffy Rail
D31: 33mi Stingray Sabertooth
699 + 121 = 820 Point between 4 bikes for and avg of 26 miles per.
No breakdowns or flats. I did have to replace the rear coaster hub and all the bearings and cone nuts of the Stingray. I wanted to make a run using peanut butter in place of grease in the BB to see what would happen.
Staring from NY in a straight line heading west I'd only reach mid Illinois.

The Mighty Sabertooth's last day.
day 31.jpg

D28: 40mi Huffy Rail
D29: 33mi Huffy Rail
D30: 15mi Huffy Rail
D31: 33mi Stingray Sabertooth
699 + 121 = 820 Point between 4 bikes for and avg of 26 miles per.
No breakdowns or flats. I did have to replace the rear coaster hub and all the bearings and cone nuts of the Stingray. I wanted to make a run using peanut butter in place of grease in the BB to see what would happen.
Staring from NY in a straight line heading west I'd only reach mid Illinois.

The Mighty Sabertooth's last day.
View attachment 134695
Cool. Congrats. Great run!

Super cool bike.

Is that paint? Powder coat?
It's factory metallic black paint. Removed all the decals. Have a set of Wolber clincher rims for it. Last setup as an X1. Going back to double chainrings. It's been apart for over a year. Need it again for future rides. Rode today, great weather we've been having.

The Galloping Ghost seems to be holding up well:thumbsup:

merckx.jpg

It's factory metallic black paint. Removed all the decals. Have a set of Wolber clincher rims for it. Last setup as an X1. Going back to double chainrings. It's been apart for over a year. Need it again for future rides. Rode today, great weather we've been having.

The Galloping Ghost seems to be holding up well:thumbsup:

View attachment 134894
Cool; so, how’d you remove the decals without damaging the paint?

Used a heat gun during pealing and rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining residue. Think it was clear coated over the decals because I had to apply polish on the decal areas after.
It was given to me by a LBS. A throwaway bike. When I removed the BB hundreds of seeds poured out. A critter musta stored them in the seat post. Seeds kept falling out in bunches onto the shop floor anytime the frame was struck. We were all wondering when it was gonna end.

You guys are doing great. It’s crazy, I’m still riding but not as much since my 31 day challenge is over. I have two 30 mile, either gravel or road rides, one 11 mi gravel ride and one 11 mile road ride since I finished. You guys are beating me but the important thing is I rode to my maximum, I pretty much did all I was capable of in 31 days. Whew. Fun though. By the end I did manage to loose five pounds. Our scale battery was dead so I didn’t find this out until today. So, fun and I lost some of the fat I gained being cooped up.

Meh...... 20 on the Raleigh. 411 MTD points. Split time was good; Like an hour 10 minutes... includes navigating traffic and managing 12 traffic lights on the round trip.

I actually felt fresh as a daisy after the ride and the air temp was just under 90.

The heat doesn’t bother me..., WIND on the other hand...... lol
7E96B17D-0C0D-4631-8B4B-0E8BC649BF3C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back