Some beginner questions about brakes.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question i have is, is there a problem with caliper brakes marking up powder-coated rims? I don't want to go spending the money getting nice red rims (passe for some, but essential for me) only to find I get big black streaks all over them.

My second question being are drum brakes a preferable alternative?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Leroy

I'm sure the caliper brakes will leave marks on your rims. An alternative would be to use aluminum rims and just powder coat/paint the inner part and not the sides but you'll still have black on the aluminum though.

I've got a bike with painted rims and calipers. in addition to marking up the paint they also make a terrible noise. Don't know if that's because of the paint?

i think theyll get marked up, and may lose breaking power if theyre wet too. there is nothing wrong with drum brakes though, got one of the front of my brothers motored bike and it does great stopping a 30mph muscle bike. :)

hey randy, check your pads and make it so the rear of the pad touchs the wheel before the front of the pad does (file the pads), that usually fixes the squeels on chrome rims anyway. may not make a difference on your painted rims, but ive rode plenty of bikes that did have painted wheels and didnt squeelwith a rim brake.

Maybe this is a silly question, but what about coaster brakes ? Pretty decent stopping power, no brake pads to fuss with and no cables to clutter up your clean machine :mrgreen:

Coaster brakes are a great idea, but I have this habit of idly pedalling backwards as I coast along... It's one of my favourite passtimes. The bike I'm planning comes with a 2 speed kickback/coaster hub which I'll ride for a few weeks until I get the rest of the parts together, so I'll see if I adjust to it in that time.

I know what you mean about backpedaling. When I switch from a bike with a freewheel to one with a coaster brake it gets a little confusing. My Klunker has a coaster brake and a drum front and that really messes with me. As long as I don't have any brake levers on the bars then I don't get too confused :roll:

CCR said:
hey randy, check your pads and make it so the rear of the pad touchs the wheel before the front of the pad does (file the pads), that usually fixes the squeels on chrome rims anyway. may not make a difference on your painted rims, but ive rode plenty of bikes that did have painted wheels and didnt squeelwith a rim brake.

Thanks.

You could probably make list of the different types of brakes in order of how effective they are. Check Sheldon Brown for this stuff, but in my humble opinion...

Hydraulic disk
mechanic disk
D brake
Cantilever (old mountain bike style)
coaster
Drum
cheap side pull cantilever on steel rims in the rain, aka might as well put your foot on the tire
actually any kind of brake on a steel rim
tire brake rod thing you see on really old bikes
leather straps(used on foreign rickshaws)
and last but least fixed gears

The best brake pads I've ever used are the red ones that cost about 20 25 for a pair, no squeaking and almost work better in the rain than in dry conditions

My personal favorite is the late 70’s Shimano disc brake…

discbrake.jpg

Down side…
They need to be constantly and minutely adjusted…
I check them prior to all rides and carry a 4 inch pair of channel lock pliers in my pocket…

I picked up a sach rear drum brake last spring…

drumbrake.jpg

Rode it over 125 miles last summer…
Also needed lots of adjustment…
And the stopping power was iffy sometimes…
Other times it was great…
But overall… One of my best riding bikes to date…

I’m also fond of the three speed coaster brake…
I’ve had good luck with both Shimano and Sturmey Archer…
Good gear spread…
Minimum adjustment…
Easy to use…

Just a few options…

ponytailmike
mike

Could I add a disc brake to a three speed hub? Or do you need to get a disc brake hub? I picked up my 3G Primal this morning, and have got about two hours on it already and have decided I will not be adjusting to the kick back/coaster combo.

I think that'll do just the trick.

Is that extra wide hub going to work with regular rims? Or would I need to pair it with the suggested 4" rims?

Latest posts

Back