Snyder built Mohawk?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well, I am going to get around to this bike today. It runs just fine, shifts smoothly, stops quickly, etc. It just needs a good cleaning and a seat swap (I have a good one to use). But I've never heard of this brand, is there a way to date this? I know it is at least 1971 because of the BMA-6 sticker but that is all I know. Also, does anybody know anything about the brand? I'll sell it off quick anyway, but I was just curious.

2735.jpg

2736.jpg

2737.jpg

2738.jpg

Thats what I thought. I heard they went bankrupt and closed their doors in 1974, maybe even '73. So being a 1971 at the oldest, I'd say this bike is probabaly hard to find, not sure if it is rare though. I just put it up now for $50 on CL. The vintage seat I bought for it a garage sale looks much better!

Accoridng to tricyclefetish.com, Snyder closed in 1975 and the factory demolished the year after in 1976. Huffy and Emory swept up the remains and bought the old equipment. So it appears Huffy scooped up Monark AND some remains of HP Snyder, too!

I've seen a Mohawk 3 speed before.

As I understand it, the Snyder factory was acquired by Mossberg (firearms) in I think 1974. After a couple of years they apparently decided the factory was not for them and sold everything off. Mossberg did continue to make a few bicycles to a much, much higher standard after this happened, but they are very rare.

Huffy apparently bought the tube mill, and Emory got the tooling for stamping drop outs, etc.

So I guess my $50 asking price explains the two very excited calls I got this morning while I was gone!

I have a Mossberg 10 speed that I have had since new, it pretty beat now but it looks just like your bike except for the color and decals. I must have got it around 1975 or 76 I think.

Well sold it now. It was nice to have some info for the buyer. I also said good-bye to my '73 Huffy Scout, too - and for dirt cheap! Down to only three more bikes to sell. The Hercules, Hollywood (potential buyer coming tomorrow), and a Kent to part out as well.

Latest posts

Back