Slippage in drive train?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a weird one, to me at least. We bought my wife a new Kent ladies cruiser at Wally World the other day. I was going over it to make sure it was assembled correctly (front fender backwards) and adjust the brakes and shifter and such. I notice when I ride it that the pedals slip nearly a quarter turn when I first put pressure on them to take off. I can get them to slip a little once moving and I try to accelerate quickly. I have felt this before with a coaster brake one speed rear end, but this is a 7 speed freewheel. I've never had a freewheel apart. Is it possible it wasn't screwed on tight at the factory?
It's a one piece Ashtabula type crank, so I can't see how the front sprocket could slip. It's not a clunky slip like maybe the chain is too loose and skipping over the teeth. It's smooth. All I can see is it has to be in the rear wheel someplace.

I know some will say, WalMart bikes are all junk and I got what I paid for. The bike is going back. For this reason, a crappy twist shift and bad front tire. Just curious as to how there could be slippage.

Thanks!

Sounds like it was not screwed on tight, which is normal. It should tighten down after 2 or 3 times of pedaling hard on it.

Sounds like it was not screwed on tight, which is normal. It should tighten down after 2 or 3 times of pedaling hard on it.
Okay. I'll try it again before we take it back to see if it still does it. Front tire is deformed so the bike still goes back. Looks like the rim is nasty out of true, but a closer look shows the rim is pretty good. The tire is funky. LOL

Okay. I'll try it again before we take it back to see if it still does it. Front tire is deformed so the bike still goes back. Looks like the rim is nasty out of true, but a closer look shows the rim is pretty good. The tire is funky. LOL
Is it possible that the bead didn't seat in. Some tires and/or rims are more irksome than others. If you can see the tire trying to escape the rim...try partially deflating, massage it back in place, and reinflate slowly. The Duros on my (then new) MacNeil took three attempts to seat properly. Have been fine since.

Jason

I got one of the Hyper cruisers awhile back. They only had one that was rideable, the others all had bent wheels. That one needed everything greased and adjusted, but it looked good.
08d89351-2cca-4017-b00d-7c586ec8e911_1.0dcad34ba95ed191f20c425b7e37f027.jpeg

Tried deflating the tire and massaging the tire to get a better fit, but it was no good. Then I inflated extra firm to see if it would pop into place. No luck there either.
tire1.jpg
tire2.jpg

As you can see in the top photo the tire is sunk in on one side near the valve. On the other side it looks good.

Well, my wife was anxious to see if my adjustments did any good. She rode it around awhile and wants to keep it. Funky tire and all! :grin:

It looks like it is failing to seat completely...but, if you overinflated it and it didn't pop into place...??? Might as well take it back anyway, if the shifter isn't working right. Did the slip go away?

Jason

You may want to deflate the front tire and look inside. I had one Wallyworld bike with an "extra" spoke nipple sitting between the rub strip and the inner tube! :p
Also check how the rub strip is sitting on the rim and the inner surface of the rim for defects. You may also want to take note of where the valve stem lines up on the tire sidewall and rotate the tire position and see if this helps...:thumbsup:

I'd deflate and run my finger around the bead seat, just to ensure there's no concealed obstruction. Then, slather on some soapy water and try again. Those little hash marks should be visible around the entire rim, on both sides. Don't be afraid to give the pump "what for." You can always let some air out after it seats.

soapy.jpg

Latest posts

Back