Sledsel got some new shoes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I decided that it was time to change wheels and tires on my Edsel sled (Sledsel). I went from 14s to 15s, Wheel Vintiques Supreme wheels and some 70 series chubby whitewall tires. I know, the brake drums gotta get some paint on them soon. But, I had to make sure that everything fit with no rubbing anyway. It was real close on the rear with reversed rims.

BEFORE
IMG_1935.JPG

AFTER
IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

It is about time to get serious about painting the top and between the trim lines with some serious red metalflake!!!:emo:

Much better,....Im looking' to put those on my 64" corvair van:cool2:

Hey Luke, when I saw the pictures of Pedro on the Paint with Pearl website. I knew that I was at the right place!!:)

Hey Luke, when I saw the pictures of Pedro on the Paint with Pearl website. I knew that I was at the right place!!:)
I was really impressed with their product! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Yeah, the big Rimz don't belong on 60's and older cars for sure!!

Ooooh purty!! I got my flake today, I will start with the medium flake and then go to the micro.

IMG_2011.JPG

Believe it or not, these are the same color flake "fire red". The one on the left is medium and the one on the right is micro. Now to decide what color to go with on my base, lots of choices. Black, red, silver, gold............thinking.....thinking...:39:

:cool2: Thank you for not putting the 22" with 1" sidewall "stuff" on that old beauty. :thumbsup:
Yeah, the big Rimz don't belong on 60's and older cars for sure!!
Big rims only look good on big trucks imho.

Ooooh purty!! I got my flake today, I will start with the medium flake and then go to the micro.

View attachment 23594
Believe it or not, these are the same color flake "fire red". The one on the left is medium and the one on the right is micro. Now to decide what color to go with on my base, lots of choices. Black, red, silver, gold............thinking.....thinking...:39:
I think silver would be subtle as a base, would dim down the red flake for a classic look.

Gold would make it pop and shine a bit more, depends on how pimp you're looking for.

Black would bold it out, would look great if the car was silver.

Red would smooth the flake I think.

Personally I'd go with silver or gold base, but it's not my sled. I hate having to make color choices, good luck.

Hmm, hard choice!
Have you considered doing some test panels? I know it is a lot of set up and clean up, but it would be such a shame if it wasn't perfect considering the amount of work that will go into doing the real job...

Another thought, have you thought about doing the section inside the side trim to match? :113:

Luke.

Hmm, hard choice!
Have you considered doing some test panels? I know it is a lot of set up and clean up, but it would be such a shame if it wasn't perfect considering the amount of work that will go into doing the real job...

Another thought, have you thought about doing the section inside the side trim to match? :113:

Luke.
Yeah Luke, I will definately do the area between the trim to match the top! The test panel deal does require a lot of setup, I'm not sure if I will do it or just run with something I THINK will look good. I believe that black will make it darker than I want and silver will be to light / bright! I am leaning to a darker red metallic, almost to a burgundy but not quite.

Yeah Luke, I will definately do the area between the trim to match the top! The test panel deal does require a lot of setup, I'm not sure if I will do it or just run with something I THINK will look good. I believe that black will make it darker than I want and silver will be to light / bright! I am leaning to a darker red metallic, almost to a burgundy but not quite.
I think you said you were applying the flake using the wet method?
If wet, you probably need a deep red base coat to get the colour as there is less flake covering it.
If dry I would be temped to run it over black, if you look at my Pedro build you can see that it came out with a lot of colour even though it was over black, but that used a huge amount of flake, about one and a half of those jars...

Luke.

You can't go wrong with flake!! When I do different sized flakes, I put the micro down first then the larger flake. It gives it a sense of depth. The micro under the larger flake looks like it's way deep in the clear. Kinda makes the paint look about an inch thick.

You can't go wrong with flake!! When I do different sized flakes, I put the micro down first then the larger flake. It gives it a sense of depth. The micro under the larger flake looks like it's way deep in the clear. Kinda makes the paint look about an inch thick.

Yeah, I haven't had time to even get started on the paint work. The NSRA street rod nationals are in town next weekend so no time to get it done before then. Your statement is interesting though, I was planning to lay the larger flake first so that it would be buried deep and the smaller flake over it so I don't have to do a lot of coats of clear to get everything buried. Hmmmm..:39:

Latest posts

Back