(Slammed Trike) doing the finishing touches...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some cutting and bending, still much more to go...
It is starting to look closer to what I have in my minds eye...
Frame Mods 1.jpg

B
Frame Mods 2.jpg

As you can see the pedal will be close to the ground.
Frame Mods 3.jpg

So I got the lines near where I want them and now all I need to do is attach them together (well need to mod the rear end just a little more.

Frame%20Mods%204.jpg

Above you can see how long the rear section is going to be. What I am wondering is if I should install some bracing between the seat and chain stays? Still need to shave off the seat tube top to clean up that area.

Frame%20Mods%205.jpg

Frame%20Mods%206.jpg

I'll be honest, I was skeptical about you using the huffy, but I am liking the way the lines of the building are going now. Just remember to keep checking the chainlines. Good luck.

I'll be honest, I was skeptical about you using the huffy, but I am liking the way the lines of the building are going now. Just remember to keep checking the chainlines. Good luck.

What I never showed earlier is the 3 speed hub, so that makes it easier to keep a good chain line. So where the Huffy's chain stays end I will be attaching the 3 speed hub dropouts.
Columbia Tricycle 3.jpg

I understand your concerns with that.
If your rear seat stays go directly in a straight line from the rear axle to the top tube and you remake the lower chain stays so they are in a straight line too you should be fine. Just remember the top ones are in compression and the lower ones in tension.

Luke.

I still have to open up the slot for the bigger axle.

Or what a lot of people do is just file two parallel flat spots on the axle threads to fit in the old forks.
You really pulled those two frames together nicely!!!!!

Or what a lot of people do is just file two parallel flat spots on the axle threads to fit in the old forks.
You really pulled those two frames together nicely!!!!!
Doesn't that bugger up the treads by filling flats into it? Yea it seems to flow really nice from one frame section to the other.

Not really. I haven't done it myself, but I have some wheels from Wildcat that were done this way. You only file close to the cone nut and only the width of the forks. Search around on the site, I am almost sure someone has put up some pics of it somewhere. It's mentioned quite a bit.

+1 on the axle file, I did it before on an old muscle bike, worked well.

Great job connecting the frames together, looks great, you should not have any trouble with the top seat stays and the lower chain stays may be alright, there appears to be a curve in them and once weight goes on they may try to straighten out, if they do and it becomes an issue you could add a brace from the top of the old seat tube where the seat stays join down to where the curve is in the lower stays, but I would not worry until you try it out. ;)

Luke.

this is sweet ! the new frame you created have a nice flow to it .. for your concerns on the twisting of the frame if you added some reinforcement between the rear stays it should help .
watching this one :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back