'Skin Deep' Ironing out a stretch. DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a couple more pics from my ride.

100_4586.jpg

It measures 88" from stem to stern!

100_4587.jpg

I think all stretch bikes need room to turn, random motivation takes both lanes to turn around.

If I remember right, that bike was about ten or twelve feet long though!:eek::21:

That looks great... and you did it so quickly.

Yes, long bikes do take some space to do a U-turn, but I find long bikes so much more comforatble to ride.

I'm looking forward to seeing the planned stretch cuiser that this is the template for... should be a doozie.

Glen.

Update.
I couldn't stand not being able to fully test ride it because of the chain constantly slipping, so I changed out the wheels and put the crapped out derailleur in a fixed position on the fourth cog. The front hand brake was reinstalled also. No need to make up long cables for the rear brake or the derailleur just for a test ride.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the geometry! It rides great and I can imagine it would be really nice with some gears.:happy:

100_4602.jpg

I suppose I'll keep it around until I need some parts off of it, then it's back to the scrap bin.:rolleyes: Several weeks of work for about 2 or 3 miles of riding.:21:

I suppose I'll keep it around until I need some parts off of it, then it's back to the scrap bin.:rolleyes: Several weeks of work for about 2 or 3 miles of riding.:21:

:( It'll be a shame to see it go to the scrap bin... but I suppose it at least served a purpose.

The frame kind of looks like lips in that shot you posted last... like a crooked smile :happy:

Glen.

Hey, you got valuable information in that science experiment that took several weeks to set up.

Found an online calculator for notching the top tube thanks to @JNOACK 's suggestion (thanks!) that he made to @tjwilson during his build 'Twist of Lemon'. :thumbsup:

Because the top tube is larger than the head tube, it will be squeezed into an oval with the minor axis equal to the head tube diameter (32.4mm). All of the numbers that I used in the calculation are based on my best guess at this point but the pattern should be very close and can be adjusted once I actually start fitting the tubes together.

View attachment 68363
Awesome stuff! I actually learned how to do the calculations on paper when I did my apprenticeship, did them for my first few builds and then got an eye for doing it freehand, just a matter of practice!

So much easier with the online calculator!

Hey, you got valuable information in that science experiment that took several weeks to set up.
Yep, that was all I was looking for. I also have the jig set up for the real design coming soon!

Awesome stuff! I actually learned how to do the calculations on paper when I did my apprenticeship, did them for my first few builds and then got an eye for doing it freehand, just a matter of practice!

So much easier with the online calculator!
Hmmm, that would be interesting to see the equation on paper. Makes my brain hurt just thinking about it!:21:

It was cool stepping through your experiment after seeing some of the progress on FB. It came out great, so you dont have to go back to the ironing board. Can't wait to see the future trm stretch.

Hmmm, that would be interesting to see the equation on paper. Makes my brain hurt just thinking about it!
Here are the drawings for one of my early bikes, from this they were transferred to cutting templates:

IMG_20180129_114347649.jpg

Latest posts

Back