>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>>

Who's KOTA?

KOTA said:
Who's KOTA?

kota.jpg

Click here to see a vid of Kota on Youtube :mrgreen:

The kid says: "WHOAAAA..... Are those the infamous apehangers starting to grow on your forehead?"
Kota answers: "Could also very well be the beginnings of some carbon fiber aero bars..."
:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey I think I did the "VOICE OVER" for that commercial!...Because the same NOISE comes out of me. :lol: :lol:

Seriously cool. 8)

How does it ride?

Once that leather saddle breaks in , it should be awesome.

I also depend on big tires on a hot rod for great suspension. :D

Good Luck.

@ Skillsthebarber
@ MpisCoaster

Thanks guys.
I can honestly say that the bike rides really great! If I HAVE to say something negative about it it would be the slack in the chain. It works fine, really, but it doesn't feel as tight as your normal singlespeed, ofcourse. Hope that will get better if I'm getting round to finetuning the chain. If not, it's fine by me the way it is. Also the larger wheels make me go faster to. I like to ride fast. Somehow the crancks feel larger than the average bike I've ridden in the past...

What 'leather' seat are you referring to? The wide Brooks that I had mounted on the bike is great only when riding in upright position. If the handlebars are lower than the seat, like mine are, it will be a hard for your inner thighs... really hard. After a mile of two it ain't fun anymore. If you're referring to the narrow black seat that is currently mounted on my bike: It's the cheapest new seat I ever bought. And in a high possition this is the most comfortable I ever had. It isn't leather, but some sort of rubber or plastic. When it 'aged' it got to look like leather more and more. A leather-like structure that I never noticed when new is getting visible. It's not the cool racing Brooks, but I like the fact that this thing don't cost a thing, looks vintage enough, and nobody has one like it.

I like rigid bikes. Suspension is in the padded or spring equiped seat, and cushioning in the grips.

I've had several positve comments from strangers I came across or passed by. That's the cool part of riding this thing. It kinda makes me proud. Funny cause I didn't really do anything to the bike. And I have a hard time explaining that this was just a mountainbike. Even the paintjob: Some guy thought I custom painted it. ...And to think I've just removed the stickers...

I hope upcomming fabrication/customization will not mess-up in the subtle/simple coolness this bike already has.
A cool concept drawing is one thing...

gazelle_12_s.jpg

gazelle_12_t.jpg

^ Some color options I've been drawn to lately...

My previous concept collage had the original color. I'm really loving that color but trying to match that color on a tankplate and maybe a chainguard will be impossible. Also it doesn't has that particular vintage vibe I had planned. I have been grinding some spots on the frame and have to do some more so it has to be painted...
Problem: Can't make up my mind about the final color. I've found 1 of those in a spraycan (Montana, and I'l doubt this paint is any good for bike-use...) and some more in a can that will have to be applied by brush...

gazelle_18_e.jpg

gazelle_19_b.jpg

gazelle_19_a.jpg

I finally made some progress. (But again, had too little time to finish the job...)
I started on my fenders. Carefully cut off a small piece of an aluminum fender I made before. (I put the remaining over the reartire just to get the feel of the bobbed fenderlook. It's an incomplete mock-up.) The front is getting close to what I have in mind. Still have to spray the grooved aluminum piece black and find a way to attach it to the fenderbrace. Maybe I should drop the brace some more. What about some small cut-outs in the aluminum?

Peatbog said:
I agree, the maroon and black have a vintage look.
But that original color is different than something normally seen and so stands out above the rest, even if not so vintage looking.

If I can't make up my mind I'll probably will paint it black...
Yes, the original color reminds me of some subtle 60's metalflake. But I don't think I can match colors on the tankplate and I think I want to grind some more things off of the frame leaving lot's of spots that I don't think I can match either... Another reason why I think I probably will go for another paintjob is because I have a bikebuild in a VERY similar color:

atb_61.jpg

^ My ATB-Cruiser build. It even has similar black forks... Eventhough that bike is close to being completely destroyed, I want to do something else to my RRBBO-bike...

deorman said:
I'd vote for the top right corner colors, to me it just has a classic vintage road bike vibe. 8)

Ah... I should've known: The turd-color... :mrgreen:

Heheh, When I planned this build I didn't think I would have such a hard time just picking a color... Well, FINDING the right shade of color that is...

EDIT: Thanks for the input guys. I always love to hear what you think.

Very nice work there! I'd throw in my vote for the bottom two of the six colour options. The 'teal-drab' and black looks wicked fast to me, and all black with the cream tires...classy 8)

I like the brown also. Reminds me of my old/sold Mead Ranger and my buddy's 'beef gravy brown' Surly. And nothing else..... :mrgreen:

Any plans to incorporate the canti bosses or are they doomed?

Nice fab job on the fender.
GOOD LUCK on the color...I like them ALL.

Thanks guys!

KOTA said:
Nice fab job on the fender.
I'd hardly call that fabrication though... Just a little bit of grinding, sanding, bending, and drilling. (errr, 'fabrication' is much shorter though... :lol: )

Bendix said:
I like the brown also. Reminds me of my old/sold Mead Ranger and my buddy's 'beef gravy brown' Surly. And nothing else..... :mrgreen: Any plans to incorporate the canti bosses or are they doomed?
Heheh :lol:
I've learned to leave the bosses and (bracket-)mountingpoints on a build as long as possible, untill it's ready for paint. There's always the possibillity of turning up with an idea for them. Those bosses could be mountingspots for my hypothetical lighting set-up for instance...

motopsyco said:
Looking great so far.
I'd reccomend any of the scalloped color schemes over the black but am partial to the green one myself.
Black will be my last resort. A diamondshape frame in black is a bit too conservative and common overhere.

Strings_and_steam said:
Very nice work there! I'd throw in my vote for the bottom two of the six colour options. The 'teal-drab' and black looks wicked fast to me, and all black with the cream tires...classy 8)
The teal-drab is what I'm drawn to the most... Wait, I just looked at the ocre version, ...and the green one.. :?: :? :wink:

Strings_and_steam said:
Hmmm I had an idea for colour scheme, pardon my paintshop skills, and messing with your concepts (plus throwing another wrench in things :roll: :oops: )

Oh, oh, I wanna play!

rudolf.jpg

kram said:
I would actually vote for the mustard yellow color. It's non typical but still has the vintage vibe you are going for, plus black and any version of yellow always look good.

Exactly, that's why bees have been wearing it for thousands of years.

Latest posts

Back