>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>>

If I may interject, on your "chaintnesioner-thinghy", use a skate board wheel. I had problems with a factory unit on a Works Man Trike, used an old wheel and wa-la no chain disconnect any more. Try it this way, push the chain down, dont lift it up

BTW, very nice transformation of trash to a work of art, I think we all need one of these in our Garage, Home, or Flat. Nice Work.

Looking great herr_rudolf :) . What size tires did you end up going with. The size difference is subtle, but obvious 8) .

Sinner4 said:
If I may interject, on your "chaintnesioner-thinghy", use a skate board wheel. I had problems with a factory unit on a Works Man Trike, used an old wheel and wa-la no chain disconnect any more. Try it this way, push the chain down, dont lift it up

BTW, very nice transformation of trash to a work of art, I think we all need one of these in our Garage, Home, or Flat. Nice Work.

Thanks guys!

@ Sinner4
You sure may, so please do. :wink:
I used to love skateboarding in 80's so I'd be more than willing to make a chaintensioner using a Skateboardwheel, except... This chaintensioner-thingy is (hopefuly) a temporary sollustion for a problem that doesn't exist. Yet... I had the clamps and I had the derailerwheel laying around and thought it would be done in a jiffy. NOT! But it was fun to make. And after +50 very smooth miles I'm happy to tell ya it works perfectly!

Oh, and for the push-down/lift-up issue...
Didn't you notice that this bike isn't just an ordinairy singlespeed? No freewheel. It has a rollerbrake. (is that right, or should I say footbrake??): The presure is going the opposite way! The axle has to be fixed on both sides so it won't get yanked to either side. A normal singlespeed-chaintensioner doesn't have to deal with that kind of pressure.
I think... :?

@ Bean
Thanks. Not many people notice the tire difference. They just notice that this bike is different. In a good way. But in my eyes differnce in size is huge! I'll try to remember to take a pic with both wheels side by side for comparison when I dive into the build again. The rear is an ordinairy sized rim (28" or 622) with a Fat Frank. The front is a narrow roadbike rim (28" or 622) but I put an ordinairy sized tire on it (I'll check sizes tomorrow...)

As I said: went working outside today. Summertemperature again so I took my bike 8)

gazelle_17_a.jpg

^ Bike getting ready for a paintjob. Not for the bike, but for the huge garagedoor I told you about.

gazelle_17_b.jpg

^ I screwed on the bidon bracket and put in a small stainless steel container. I think I like it! I might keep it on the bike. If so, I will try and fabricate a cooler set up. Now, where's that MoonEyes-decal I've been saving for over twenty years...

deur_b_5.jpg

^ And this is what we've done today. Me and my partner in crime painted the logo we've designed for a streetart exhibition on a big garagedoor. We're about halfway done... My body aches. Lost concentration. Step in a can of paint...
I'm getting to old for this kind of stuff.

Riding went great though. It already got dark when I headed for home in a t-shirt...
I need lights....

bean said:
Looking great herr_rudolf :) . What size tires did you end up going with. The size difference is subtle, but obvious 8) .

gazelle_18_b.jpg

^ When you look at the tires from above the difference isn't so subtle anymore... 8)

Both tires are standing upright on the ground. This is how much the sizes differ from eachother. I love it when you don't notice that instantly. Like Bean said: 'The size difference is subtle, but o-so obvious...'

gazelle_18_a.jpg

^ Btw... Here's a better view of the 28" in the forks next to the original 26" that is supposed to be in there...

gazelle_18_c.jpg

^ Wanted to do some work on the bike today. Like the Dutch BMX-pioneers I wanted to add some bobbed fenders. Really short ones. One of my donorbikes had some that are in an OK shape. Including a bumper/fenderbrace that will 'function' as a sissybar. With some of my aluminum fabrication-work. I want to do both, front and back.

gazelle_18_e.jpg

^ remember this? I made it for one of my other projects. Want to combine the ribs with a standard but shortened 26" fender that will probably be cut in half to fit my 28" wheels...

gazelle_18_d.jpg

^ Still not convinced about a specific lenght. (I should've sprayed em both black for good comparison... You hardly notice the small white one on the left...)

But then Duty called...
again

That's what I been waiting for, ALLLUUUMINNNUM !!

KOTA said:
That's what I been waiting for, ALLLUUUMINNNUM !!

I don't think you'll recognise it as aluminum when I'm done though...

Simplicity Nut said:
Rudolf, your bike is looking good! I really like that the frame doesn't have tight track geometry. :D

Why should it have. It's a hotrod using a mountainbikeframe! :D
scrumblero said:
did you try a half link?

I'll start trying if I think I have to. I still haven't checked if I can give the chain the right tension. For now I'll used what I hve: Two clamps and a derailer wheel. It works great and it sounds awesome: Subtle, yet o-so obvious.... :mrgreen:

For now, I'm taking a day off. Something I feel I really deserve. Heading for Antwerp, Belgium.
Cheers, and have a nice Friday.

In terms of the back guard, I think have it end directly above the axle of the back wheel, so the support bars are vertical, its a small detail, but really helps a bike look like its planned

0907_hbkp_01_z+brass_balls_classic_bobber+right.jpg

hewey said:
...its a small detail, but really helps a bike look like its planned...

That's exactly what I'm going for: Small details that look like they belong. But I'm still not convinced that the vertical struts will be the best place for that. It'll be pointed in a direction that doesn't get repeated anywhere else on the frame...

mix_175.jpg

^ When I shortened my fender to create ^this^ it lined up perfectly with the other lines on the bike, but I still felt I chopped off too much. (I don't have that feeling anymore btw. I really like the lenght on that fender now...)

Maybe I'll do the same with my Singlespeed Hotrod. But still I'm not sure. Think I'll just have to make two mudguards... One useless and one slightly useless...
:mrgreen:

gazelle_12_b.jpg

^ Revealing my concept. (Photoshop/illustrator)

This is what I've been planning for this years build-off, albeit in a different color.

Good golly man, that's slicker than a slippery slick thing! What a beautiful looking concept, and if anyone can bring it to life, it would be you sir! I especially like the implied front fender and truss idea, really ellegant without being cluttery.

Thank you sir :)
I must add that almost always my stuff don't end up the way I've designed them... Especially bikes. I found that if I try too hard to make what I've drawn up it will go dramatically wrong. I feel bad for a a little while but most of the time I will think of something even better.

But this design seems to be fairly easy to do. We'll see.

Some carbon fiber aero bars would look real nice on that!

KOTA said:

Just when I was trying to make a modern bike look more vintage... :wink:
It made me wonder though: What if you use vintage-looking brown leather bartape or even twine all-over the bars... :shock: 8)

Peatbog said:
Whoa! That concept is certainly pleasing to the eye.

Thanks! I really think it won't be hard to duplicate it in real life...
Now, if I only had some time to work on it...

Latest posts

Back