>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>>

Ah!
Thanks for the input cman. It looks a bit too technical for me (at first glance) but I may have to look into that. Still hoping that I'll get lucky with the final chainlength though... Oh, what I find strange is that the cranck with the 'pin' that is supposed to hook up with the chainring ...isn't hooking up with the chainring!!
Maybe that is normal, but for now:
:shock: :?:

I'm not thát experienced in bikebuilding...
:oops:

HAHAHAHAHA!
NO! I was just saying it was a tight squeeze on that tire! You know my motto on tires 'the fatter, the better'.
Thanks for the comments on the Amsterback, hopefully I will bring new brakes and a custom chainguard to the mix soon.. :roll:

herr_rudolf said:
Now... You're not making fun of me Dr T ...are you?
:x :wink:

Oh I forgot to tell ya: The Amsterback you(?) built has a lot of the styling cues I tend to aim for. I love that build and it should be the inspiration for anybody who's building a diamondframe bike.
8)

Cheers,
Dr. T

It'll be cool to see what you do with the singlespeed/hotrod crossover.

I really like the look of your balloon tire hot rod too.

Are the handlebars Velo Orange Porteur's?

That's quite the tolerance you have from tire to frame. I have a 26x1.75 on a trangular frame and it's really close too. Luckly a half link worked and I didn't need a tensioner. Have you tried bolting on a smaller chainring? It might not provide enough clearance and/or not give you the "go fast" gearing but maybe worth a try.

herr_rudolf said:
Ah!
Thanks for the input cman. It looks a bit too technical for me (at first glance) but I may have to look into that. Still hoping that I'll get lucky with the final chainlength though... Oh, what I find strange is that the cranck with the 'pin' that is supposed to hook up with the chainring ...isn't hooking up with the chainring!!
Maybe that is normal, but for now:
:shock: :?:

I'm not thát experienced in bikebuilding...
:oops:

A half-link may solve your chain problem, I used one for a schwinn 24" that I stuffed some 26"ers into.

gazelle_10_b.jpg

gazelle_10_a.jpg

^ Singlespeed conversion. The Herr Rudolf-way... :mrgreen:

Chaintensioner seems to work. I was able to put some miles on it today. The chain popped-out a few times because of the slack it has, so I have to make some kind of small guide/guard for the chain. Remember this is still a temporary sollution. Chain is still too long. But thanks all of you guys for the advise. I'm learning more and more on this site. What's this I hear about 'half links'?? Is it what I think it is? Does it work????

gazelle_10_c.jpg

^ One thing I wasn't happy with is the wide seat... Dang-it! So I replaced it with my old favorite I've used on all of my custom bikes...

gazelle_11_b.jpg

gazelle_11_c.jpg

gazelle_11_a.jpg

^ A small high seat is the only way to go with the flipped or dropped handlebars... But I think this just fit's my build perfectly.
What do you guys think..?

I like it! I'm digging the 'fat tire racer' look of it.
This may sound odd, but instead of killing yourself fabricating a chain tensioner, just buy a chain break tool.
I learned the hard way, buy a quality one.
I even found one on YOUR eBay! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/PARK-TOOL-CT-5-M..._Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item3cb77a2e60

Cheers,
Dr. T

I was thinking just 1 half link, Yikes!

link001.jpg

You'll need to use 1/8" chain, however. Your LBS should have one.

What I forgot to tell was: I took the seat of my Cartboardtracker-build. I had another one but it hadn't 'aged' as nice as the one on my cartboardtracker, yet. The rubber now has the looks and feel of a nice leather-upholstered seat! Especially with those furniture rivet-like nails pressed into it. The newer seat ended up on my cartboardtracker and the 'aged'-one I put on my Build-off bike. Rather high, ...and this set up made me think of the Little 500 bikes that member Road Master had posted in his build-off thread. (Thanks for refreshing my memory!) My bike will get a lot of black accents, so right behind the forks and the handlebars, the seattube and crancks got a quick mock-up fogging of satin black.

@ Dr Tankenstein...
I almost wanted to buy some sort of chaintool, but got puzzled at the store about what sort I should bring home. I remember there were several and I didn't know which one would suit me best. (and buying tools is definately not as much fun to spend money on than on nice parts... :wink: )

Thanks guys for the info on the half chains... (And the pics to make it clear.) That halflink indeed could be another bonafide sollution to a problem that I hope I will not have... :wink: But it's nice to know I have options.

@ ratina.
Thanks. The lugnut idea just came to me. I had exactly five of these oversized bolts and also five nuts. It fit, and it immediately reminded me of a classic five-lug pattern you see on most American cars.

@ kram.
Thanks. No second bar for this bike... I haven't learned to weld, yet, so just a tankplate will be the way to go on this build. But I want to keep the plate sleek and rather small. It must enhance the paintjob I'm planning. I've made some sketches of it that I don't wanna share at this moment... :wink: Still have 3 months to go...

Here's some nice vintage footage of balloonbikes in a "Little 500" race! (1957)

little_500_youtube.jpg

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KokdajORdec

^ I'm after the vibe of these bikes: Smallframe/balloontire/racingseat high/racingbars low.
Think "vintage functional racebikes" mixed with some Herr Rudolf-styling :wink:

MplsCoaster said:
Are the handlebars Velo Orange Porteur's?

Nope. Just some standard bars of an ordinairy Dutch bike. I flipped it upside down though, to achieve vintage style medium dropped racing bars ;-) ...and gave em a mock-up satin-black paintjob.

gazelle_11_e.jpg

^ The way I took it home with the 26" wheels, and the way it sits now on the 28s ^

I'm currently VERY busy with work and stuff so I'm glad I've been able to make a good start with my build. I don't think I have time to work on it for some days, maybe weeks. But I'll try to come up with as many excuses as I can to ride it... I'm already convinced it really is a good rider but I'd like to make some miles on this thing. Don't wanna put time and money in a crappy bike that eventually won't get ridden.

It's time for me to stand back and just enjoy the transformation. Sometimes I can't believe it's the same bike.

I think I'm on the right track...

Thanks Gold Street Customs! Me too. Taking a common frame from the trash is the essence of bicycle hotrodding, imho. Gazelle is a decent Dutch brand. The frame was well put together. The hardware that was attached to it was not. But who cares when I'm not going to use that stuff... The bike not only looks fast. With that larger diametre wheel it's easier to reach high speeds than with the 26" wheels 8)

Latest posts

Back