Single speed MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I learned to build wheels, I read somewhere that once built, you should be able to read the logo on the hub looking through the valve hole. Sometimes I do better then others.
ACF75933-BBB6-4D86-8E32-5AFD272C4AAC.jpeg

So due to gettin dark early and rain, I haven’t had the opportunity to assemble this build yet. But I did manage to get the tires mounted up.

C2D52C5A-4B2C-4B3B-B076-E41A3747F699.jpeg

The sealed bearings in the rear Surly hub aren’t sounding too hot, so I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kit. Should be here in a few days. Then, weather permitting, I can build!

It rained on and off today, but I was determined to get this one built! (My work stands are out side)

78AFA0A9-F609-410C-BB25-C85F08392D03.jpeg

E3E7C86B-5B08-470E-9852-98E5C185A1B2.jpeg

I got some sample stickers made of my ‘faux company’
I buy and sell a lot of bikes because I simply love working on them. I got these made to mimic old school shop style stickers to put on the bikes I sell. Obvious copy of the prewar Schwinn cycle truck headbadge.

1CA30EF6-608C-4B5F-8AFB-1E7C9BCF41F0.jpeg

Trying to catch the paint in the sun-
74149AFB-DDCE-4E43-B7B3-0600AE335A9C.jpeg

I’m really happy with how this one came out. It ended up with a few higher end parts then originally intended for a ‘knock around’ build, but that’s ok. It rides comfy and silent. I’m lookin forward to gettin some trail time on it ASAP!

Thanks guys! I’m pretty stoked on the final result. I have a ride planned this weekend weather permitting. Just around the neighborhood it feels awesome. And geared low enough to get some wheelies!
I think it’ll handle curb cuts and small jumps a little better then the 60s Schwinn I have been doin that stuff on.

The instigator looks good on it, I'll have to keep an eye for them...looks like it could fit a 29 :grin:!

Jason
Thanks Jason. It totally can! The previous owner of the frame/ fork ran it as a 69er for a bit. I did consider it, but the aesthetic of that doesn't appeal to me. I was initially concerned the Instigator would look off because the frame was designed for a non-suspension fork. But, I like where it puts the bars. And it is how the modern Units are spec'd.

When I found the frame and fork, I was actually just searching for an Surly instigator or a Kona project 2 rigid fork, and just happen across this f/f for the going rate of just the fork. Kona single speed frames are also one of my common searches, so pullin the trigger just made sense.

The original idea was to match a Kona P2 or Instigator to a 60's Schwinn. Go threadless, disc or v, etc. A 'restomod' klunker. Basicly, this build, but with a cantilever frame. All said and done, this was about the same price as that idea.
Whats funny is, in the 6 or so weeks this build took, I just happened to acquired all I need to do the restomod klunk. So, that may still be coming soon.

Last edited:
Excellent! I rarely run across Surly stuff that is affordable, but...I'll definitely put the instigator on my list just in case (P2 forks, while not a dime a dozen, seem to be easier to find at a decent price).

I think the Unit has a good stance with the big fork...a little slack in front, but the rear chainstays look pretty close to parallel with the deck. Should cruise as well as it looks :thumbsup:.

Looking forward to seeing the Restomod!

Latest posts

Back