Simplistic Speed, 100% done, pics posted! **Lightweight**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Simplistic Speed, Let there be lights! **Lightweight Build**

fordsnake said:
Wow, this is one fantastic build, love it!
Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone with such talent.

So, as it turns out this is likely a 1940 Schwinn New World, judging by the frame and fork details. My serial number is J09514 (which also may make it a 1946) if anyone has better knowledge than I could find so far.

Neat use of recycled glass, may borrow you idea down the road.

Awesome work on the lights!

Machine Age Victim said:
Thanks guys! I'm happy with the results too! I got the red glass from a nautical salvage yard, its a piece of broken ball that floated above a crab trap.
Looks fantastic. Did you melt it first?

The Renaissance Man said:
Machine Age Victim said:
Thanks guys! I'm happy with the results too! I got the red glass from a nautical salvage yard, its a piece of broken ball that floated above a crab trap.
Looks fantastic. Did you melt it first?
Nope, its really old glass, it was heavier and really thick since it was a bottom piece

cool lights!!!

Troy

Machine Age Victim said:
I did a test cut on the spare/test chain ring I recently picked up and it cut like butter. I'm going to give the design a go and see how well it holds up before I move on to the good one.
build39.jpg

Just from a structural standpoint I'd rotate your pattern so that the six holes already in it the sprocket land inside the six larger holes you're going to cut, having the holes in the center of a main structure point would be risky. Here's what I'm saying:

outskirtscustoms said:
Machine Age Victim said:
I did a test cut on the spare/test chain ring I recently picked up and it cut like butter. I'm going to give the design a go and see how well it holds up before I move on to the good one.
build39.jpg

Just from a structural standpoint I'd rotate your pattern so that the six holes already in it the sprocket land inside the six larger holes you're going to cut, having the holes in the center of a main structure point would be risky. Here's what I'm saying:

Thank you, i had thought of that too but I'm going with a hole patern that is close to the inspiration in the first post, so I'd have to drill those holes anyway, figured I'd save myself the trouble. The large holes are drawn so the inside diameter is the actual hole size, should still be plenty strong.

I can see the light at the end of the build (pun intended). I've already started scouting locations for a photo shoot. I'd love to hear ideas about what would look 'fitting.'

I want to see that chainring man!!! Don't keep us waiting!!! :p :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
I want to see that chainring man!!! Don't keep us waiting!!! :p :mrgreen:
Sorry for the delay but it seams my blade isn't thin enough to get the radius on the turns I want, might still need to send it to a machine shop.

Here's the lights though, Still need to figure a way to properly mount the rear but I like it's placement.
imwn.jpg

qc0c.jpg

That's a sweet classy ride.
Maybe you could draw the holes on the chainring and paint the wholes on there? Maybe even make it look like the wood?

kingfish254 said:
That's a sweet classy ride.
Maybe you could draw the holes on the chainring and paint the wholes on there? Maybe even make it look like the wood?

Thanks! I'll come up with something, no idea now

MplsCoaster said:
Looking Good! 8)

Thank you!

I figured out a way to mount the rear tail light. Copper pipe in the bracket with brass wrapped around it and a brass screw holding it together.
build44.jpg

And I thought this build wasn't any place for allen screws so I replaced them :)
build45.jpg

Pm'ed you about the Moped

Troy

Here is at least one person waiting and hoping plan B is a good as the rest of what you have done already.

Latest posts

Back