Simplerat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw said:
Hey! I recoginze that seat! :shock: Did you get it off of an old Schwinn exerciser or Exercycle? I've had ones from both. Very Comfortable! Many people don't think so but once they ride my bike ... they believe.
I feel I should give you this caution though:
Any and all Rat Rod and RatBike guys will try to buy this seat from you! :lol: If you go to any car, motorcycle or bike shows/swapmeets be prepared for this! P.S. the Exercycle seats are the better of this style seat. sturdier built and better chrome.

Your bike is coming along great! You've really caught spirit of the old iron. Very nice job on the springer. Looking forward to seeing the completion of this old horse. The sidecar would be a great addition, but please do youself a favor and make it detachable.
Thanks,
Chainsaw

The seat came with as two whole truck loads of old bike parts for $30, And the day I brought it all home I tried giving it away but then after seeing the one on the original simplex I new that it was destined to go on this bike, The Sidecar will be detachable for ease of loading and for those times I just want to ride without it

That's a great deal! I found the old schwinn in the garbage but I was willing to buy one. I rode with it for two years. I sold it for $50.00. I was at an event and everybody tried to buy it from me. I made it through the day with my seat intact. Somehow one of the motorcycle guys tracked me down and got ahold of me later the next week. We talked for awhile and settled on the price. I knew where a full Exercycle was and went and got it for $25.00! I've since bought another Exercycle and plan on building a big tired bike using not only the seat, but most of the bike. Like I said you'll love the seat once you get use to it!

I also think you should definitely revisit the crashbars idea! But I fully understand the bar/foot problem. I've dealt with a similar situation on my hacks. They don't get ridden alot and when they do, it's usually in a straight line so I've left them as is. Still a pain in the butt though.
Keep us drooling,
Chainsaw

I don't think I've ever seen a sidehack on a Simplex. Most of the ones I've actually seen in person weren't really sturdy or powerful enough to do the job. Doesn't mean it hasn't or can't be done, of course.

Well got a little bit of work done on the rat this weekend, made my tank sides and shot a quick coat of primer so that it looked better for the Gravity shootout today, managed to get a gps verified 28.5 on the downhill with no peddling and no problems with the handling or with the bike at all. The next thing is to get my fenders mounted and then start on the body work
DSCF2518.jpg
DSCF2531.jpg

DSCF2532.jpg

Really cool bike, Id like to see your version of a Honda Dream next. Great job, I REALLY LIKE THIS BIKE :D

Outstanding! Been looking for one of those seats yesterday, no luck.
Bike looks great dude! Congrats!

Thank You, I appreciate all the compliments. Got my fenders in the mail today but didn't get much done other than sitting them in place still have to make the mounts for the rear and figure out my mounting for the front

this bike is incredible. i really dig the way you started wanting to do a sort of tribute to a simplex but as it evolved it became your own. if you are into them you will recognize the frame design but if you were not u would just think it is a cool way to build a frame. very very well done gonna get the tank sides lettered?

karfer67 said:
this bike is incredible. i really dig the way you started wanting to do a sort of tribute to a simplex but as it evolved it became your own. if you are into them you will recognize the frame design but if you were not u would just think it is a cool way to build a frame. very very well done gonna get the tank sides lettered?
Thanks, Yeah I wanted it to have the look but the real one is just to small for me to ride comfortably on so I knew I had to make it bigger, after the body work and paint the plan is to either have one of my friends make me some stencils so that I can airbrush my logos on or have another friends pinstripe the letters or both I'll just have to see what happens and how much time I have

TommyTwoTime said:
I think theres gonna be a run on exercycles now. this is a cool bike for sure.
I been searching everyday on CL just in case there's a cheap exer bike on there that I can take the seat off of and help someone out on here

Back