Simple Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+Well after some discussion with the experts :D I am afraid the forks on this bike are way to week for the abuse I will give them. :cry: I also now realize that they and some of the other parts will be far better suited in someone else hands for restoration work. (as long as the financials can be worked out :wink: ) The frame however will be mine! Yes mine all mine :mrgreen: I will most likely reinforce the frame and use a Monarch Repo Springer. I feel after I make the weld repairs as detailed by sportscarpat I will have a far more suitable front end. I need to again thank all the fine folks who took the time to respond. I warned you in the beginning I was doing this on a very low budget and I am shooting from the hip. So major change is to be expected . I most likely will make the bike shiny now also :? though the distressed look cannot be ruled out.
[img
mockupnew.jpg
][/img]

Six ? Bar ? BEER!!! You are brilliant Beer will get the thought process started Ha Ha :lol:

rms37 is the man! i wish i had a pea sized amount of information from his brain, it would be double what i know now! :shock: :lol:

The services are over and in laws are fed. The children are pumped but heading to bed.
The gifts they are piling up under the tree but visions of bicycles are still within me.
Merry Christmas

Well I got a fuel tank. I was able to pull a couple favors and got the tank made, it turned out pretty nice. I am very happy with it.
I sold the Springer and fenders and will be ordering a reproduction Monark Springer.
I have started to fab up the motor mounts. I think I found a drum brake for the front. I got a cool head light and tail light.
I also picked up a bendex rear hub from a old tandem with 12ga spokes I will lace in to the back wheel.
I wanted to run 26X2.35 tires but I am worried about clearance. I think I will stay with the 26X2.125 tires for now.
I have a set of fenders off a Walley world cruiser I can use also if I stay with the standard tire. I will post more pictures in the near future
tankside.jpg
[/img]

Re: Simple Build YEA RIGHT

Simple build YEA RIGHT
Ok I have been gone for a while :roll: I first want to address the fact I cut up a neat old survivor even though it was a girls bike. I got this bike from a friend who tried to sell it all summer long at a yard sale. I loved old bikes but knew nothing about them we were talking and I mentioned my 95 Schwinn Cruiser 7 and said I would like to find an actual old one.
IMG_2091.jpg

He said I got one I will give you. I asked some of the locals and tried to sell it for 100 bucks no interest. (storage 3 years) Then I found those cheep little Chinese two strokes. Then I stumbled upon a picture of a board tracker :idea: I ordered the 2 stroke, found this awesome sight started inquiring and cutting the frame at the same time. Then people started to respond and supply insight! rms37, uncle stretch are just two. Whoa this bike should have been spared ? :oops: (lesson learned inquire wait for response then decide what to do I am sorry) I carry a small amount of guilt. Phil thanks again for taking the time to supply such a detailed answer. Ok it’s been done so… sell the rare parts keep the frame COUNTIUE !! :mrgreen: I got a group of parts together and working on more. I will post pictures as time allows I am not sure how much time I will have this year but I will post as I can. I have a friend that is also building and I hope he joins this sight soon and we can get this thread started rolling again
IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

Spring is near let the board track revival begin

eehhg....no guilt in having fun sir!
People i know cut up perfectly good things such as fully running brand new trucks and cars some would die for in the original condition! its what we do and how any of our hobbys evolve! There will always be "haters", and that my friend, in MY own opinion inspires us to cut more!

I really like this motored build you have here, my only concern would possible be the x-member under the tank? in a males frame that tube provides a good amount of support, what did you use under there to add support and mount the tank?

Have you had experience in that chineese engine you got so cheap? lol im wanting to build a motored project bike but not sure what engine to start with and where to scouce, retail or adapt one....

Keep up the good work!
RB 8)

Red _ Beard 13
Thanks for the kind words of support

Well the project has taken a temporary back seat to more pressing things in life. :) I have no experience with these engines. I have Talked to several people local and on the net that have used them. You have to replace bolts tinker with them and they are good for 800 to 3000 miles, maybe (?) more if you do your due diligence. I also decided you need to spend the money on the sprocket adapter and sprocket to replace the rag joint. Well now I need 12 ga. Spoked, heavy duty wheels. I ordered WORKSMAN WHEELS. FREAKING AWSOME PERFECT CHOICE.(NOT THAT I LIKE THEM OR ANYTHING) 8) I DO NOT plan on riding it a whole lot and I always have the next generation engine on my mind(most likely a lot to do with why I am not riding it; I am always analyzing the last move). To address the issue with the tank. I built it out of 10 gauge, it’s a tank (pun intended) I am welding a piece of steel between the head tube and the seat post. The tank will bolt to it and should prevent the bike from folding. I will also reinforce it where I am welding in the motor mounts . Please remember this is more about obtaining the LOOK than being super functional but it will be functional . Wow now I feel the need to revisit this project. I will try to get some fresh pictures and post them. Please remember I have been buying parts on a as can afford basis and have not done any more actual building. Well gotta run for now

Hollywood said:
Looking good.
What did you use for the Gas cap. Did you pull it off another tank?
I used the tank that came with the engine kit and cut out the neck so I could use that cap also.I mocked the tank up out of that ¼” white foam board and took it to a local fab shop they laser cut it out of 10ga steel .135 thick.(I did this because the tank will be structural part of the frame since it is a girls frame) They Welded the whole thing togeather and pressue tested it for leeks. They charged me $120.00 total which I thought was really fair.

Latest posts

Back