Simple Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D I am almost afraid to start this post here due to the amount of quality builds. I want to build something that resembles a boardtracker total build cost $300.00 or less. I will start with a Zoombicycles 66cc 2 stroke kit 115.00 (shipped to my door) and this bike Girls, 5 bar Monarch serial # A50796 (freebie). I would like to know what year it is if anyone can help. I want to be able to ride it buy April. I have come up with this rough idea. I will try to build the tank myself so I am trying to minimize the fabrication and welding while keeping a decent look. I am sure the final product will change. I have decent mechanical skills but very limited welding skills. I am off and building :D
[img
TheStart_edited-1.jpg
][/img]

I am still learning how to use this forum. I would like to link a photo bucket album to my replies in case anyone wants to see more pictures.
Please tell me how you do it. :?

You just need to copy the URL of the album.

Very cool bike!Don't be afraid to start building!

OK where to go? Please feel free to make all the suggestions and comments you like. I have the idea, not much of a planner just a shoot from the hip kinda guy.

I am torn on whether to re paint or leave as is. I will have to do something with the rims and the seat. How do you go about distressing the new stuff. I like the Idea of leaving it distressed but I am not sure how you get the finish on the tank, engine etc. to match.I also have some welding on the frame and would need to blend that in. The bike was purple with dark red rims, The paint on most of the frame is oxidized to a nice shade of brown. I would paint it brown and some shade of antique white or cream, if I go that route. I do not think one way or the other would be any less time consuming or cheaper. I do not think there is a right or wrong way either. The look!! it’s all about the look!!! . The hubs are New Departure. I would like to lace in heaver spokes and glass bead and paint the rims( Color ?) not sure. The seat cover was falling off. There was metal banding tack to the seat that the stitching went thru most of this was rusted a way. I like the shape of the seat so I will attempt to recover it somehow. Then we have the distressing issue again. Hey distressing is stressing. Well gotta go back to reality for a while. I hope the link works http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/kcjim78/Simple Board track Build/

Well i guess there's several different ways to fake patina on a object.. i usally lay down a primer first.. like brown, grey or oxide.. Then i paint it in the intended colour and sand it down a bit to fake wear.. After that i dust it lightly with black and brown spray paint (sometimes several different browns) so it looks like dirt and rust, not to lightly, you need the spay drops to be visible on the surface.. Laying a clearcoat while the spray is wet makes them bleed a bit wich looks better in my opinion.. After that i might sand it some more to remove some of the spray drops to make it look less like a pattern and more random, if you sand while the clear coat is a not fully cured you get nice micro smears that looks like rust bleeding trough the colour..

Well thats how i do it, maybe you can find some of it usefull! good luck..!

K-dregg
Thanks!! I will defiantly try out your ideas. I checked out your site AWSOME builds. I started a electric bike also ,I might have to sell it and build a second gas bike. :D

Never seen that style of springer fork before. Interesting how the spring goes into the fork crown. It must be more of a knee action instead of up and down like other Monarch springers.

I had never seen one like either. There was a another bike very similar on eBay.The listing has been there quite a long time. I loved the look of it ever since I got it. I like the straight forks also. I hope to find a spring that has a little more substance just for looks, Also plan to mount a light between the stays and yes it is more of a knee action.

forkside_edited-1.jpg

:roll: http://cgi.ebay.com/Monark-5-Bar-Ladies ... 43a3b4dcb9

Its your bike and I really can't tell you what to do....BUT I would let rms37 take a look at it and make sure its not something rare before you hack it up. You can find a million girls bikes cheap to build. I have never seen a fork or a frame like that before. Just my 2 cents

Well, no word from any one on this bikes rarity . I have tried in the past to sell this bike and no one seemed to have any interest in it then. I had all ready drilled two holes in the frame when Uncle Stretch thought it might be worth another look. I will weld support braces where the front motor mount goes. I will not be doing any mods to the forks other than a new spring. I will have to mount a headlight but I will bracket it off the head tube. The tail light in the rear fender will require a couple holes.

I picked up a set of front and rear bendax 12ga hubs out of a old schwinn twin that I want to lace in to these rims with 12ga. Spokes(another new learning experience) Oh and remember this bike was on the way to the land fill when I got it. (back when scrap was worthless) I am off until Jan 4th and have some free time to work on it . I did stop by a local Fab shop to see what they would charge to build the tank. $125.00 complete. I felt that was pretty fair so... if I totally fail at my attempt to build one there is an out. Thanks and please keep the feedback coming. I do not get much support here in Ohio. Bicycle enthusiast tend to frown on any type of motorized bicycle.

RMS 37 must be busy with Christmas. It will make a unique build anyway. I saw a guy streetrod an antique RollsRoyce once and he was happy. :lol: You might shoot Sensor a pm and ask what he would charge to do your tank. He is reasonable on his prices and does very good work. Good luck on your build. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Hi KCJim,

Thanks for PM’ing me on this one, I don’t get around to reading all the posts on Ratrod so I am bound to miss out on occasion when my name comes up.

The question is; “is this frame rare and should it be preserved as-is due to its rarity?”

This question has me thinking about (and writing) a longer piece on the subject but a clear and plain answer will probably serve this thread best.

The bike is a girl’s Monark 4-Bar, a companion to the Boy’s 5-Bar model. Monark produced a variety of multi-tube steel frames from roughly late 1937 through about 1941. None of these frames are Common but only some of them are truly “Rare”, with a capital R.

A good way to judge its rarity overall is to note that this frame varient probably turns up on eBay about three or four times a year. On that basis, I would rate the frame as uncommon but short of what I would consider rare.

The springer fork is the earliest Springer produced by Monark and predates the common twin-spring fork that has been reproduced. The switch from the early fork to the later fork occurred at the end of 1939 at which time the girl’s 4-bar frame also seems to have been redesigned with the four down tubes being placed further apart vertically probably in an attempt to stiffen the frame.

So, the frame is uncommon but as a girl’s frame is not sought after to the degree that is has become particularly valuable in the Hobby.

The fork itself is sought after, the redesign to the twin-spring plunger design with fully articulated links was likely due to the fact that the early design is fascinating but shy of being a well designed piece of engineering. Monarks as a whole seem to be failure prone, and the steel Monarks were probably discarded in large numbers when the broke. They don’t just continue to exist like the aluminum frames for lack of rusting capabilities. Many of the early steel frames that did survive have replacement forks due to the fragility of the early fork and owners of those frames are usually searching for good correct replacements. Supply and demand mean the fork is probably worth at least $150+ to someone.

In today’s market I believe what you have is worth about $300. I’ve seen similar bikes advertised for twice that but that gets into no-sale territory. If it were a boy’s version in similar condition then I would expect it to be a worth about $450 to $550 with asking prices probably higher yet.

Everyone values the dollar based on a number of factors in their life so I can’t say if the dollar value of the bicycle will be a significant reason not to modify the bike. The other factor to consider is the Historical Significance of the bike to determine whether it is a candidate for modification or better left as is. This too ultimately is a determination the owner must make.

While the bike is not wildly valuable in dollars and not rare to the degree that other equal or better examples cannot be found, I think that it does have a good degree of historical significance as it sits. Considering the overall decent condition of the bike, including the fact that it has not been repainted and that it is an uncommon model, I would not personally do anything to the bike in my ownership that was an irreversible modification on the grounds of my interpretation of historical significance.

From an engineering standpoint I would suggest that it is not the strongest frame to put to motor use but if the tank were to become a structural member it would go a long way toward curing the inherent weakness issues of this frame design. The fork is probably best used by careful riders weighing in at less than 120 lbs or holding its own on a show bike.

I hope the above is helpful to you in determining what you would like to do with the bike.

Season’s best to you and have fun with the bike whichever route you choose to go.

Phil

Woe is me.
Wow!!
Phil thanks for the reply. I now feel bad. I guess a cheap Chinese motor should be built with like parts. Ok I now have concerns about failure wile I am riding. I will take pictures of where it is now and up load them. I will then PM rms37 and see what he thinks. The original plan was to make the tank structural. I wanted to fill the open areas in the frame at the sides with sheet metal. I also would have made the motor mounts ridged. I would be willing to sell if it is worth somewhere near 300.00 I see it like this.
Monark style Springer 175.00
Donor bike 50.00
Seat 40.00
I am open to offers for cash and or trades. I may also still build.
I thought this would be a simple build, I really need to stop thinking.
Thoughts??

I would be interested in the fork.....can do cash or trade.

Latest posts

Back