Sidetrack Space: Build Off Highlights and Chat.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like that one. That was the first bike i really did a no paint restoration on. It started snowing while i was trying to keep my water temperature up. It was a nightmare. It finished well though.
View attachment 136838View attachment 136839View attachment 136840
Thank you! I love seeing the Dayton with the truss rods. I really wanted to find some for this build and contemplated making my own with copper pipe but I started too late. I'm so inspired by the other builds. So many ideas for "next time"!

Thank you! I love seeing the Dayton with the truss rods. I really wanted to find some for this build and contemplated making my own with copper pipe but I started too late. I'm so inspired by the other builds. So many ideas for "next time"!
It's beautiful. I'll see if I have some truss rods for it around here. I know I have the bracket I just saw two of them while I was cleaning the garage. I still have to organize all those parts before i put them back in here.I'll let you know. I have made plenty of truss rods it's not rocket surgery. I made these because the sk ones are so expensive. i can drop a bracket in an envelope and mail it if you don't have one
15326094_1350940424971174_6690426122197782855_o.jpg

It's beautiful. I'll see if I have some truss rods for it around here. I know I have the bracket I just saw two of them while I was cleaning the garage. I still have to organize all those parts before i put them back in here.I'll let you know. I have made plenty of truss rods it's not rocket surgery. I made these because the sk ones are so expensive. i can drop a bracket in an envelope and mail it if you don't have one
View attachment 137331
Wow, that would be amazing! Thank you.

This is a place to post stuff that need to be seen. If you see something, post something! I'd say it's cool to grab a pic from a build thread and say yer thing. Keep the threads focused on the builds n stuff
Voting thread location, I’m ignernt ?

VOTING PAGES must be taking a bit longer to organize. I did them last year and it is quite a bit of work to sort the list, organize the photos, organize the Finished thread links, and builders names. Be patient everyone. Steve will post it all up when everything is ready.

If you are wondering where they will be posted, you can keep an eye on the main BO15 Forum List. There will be two Voting Forums added (one for each Class).

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php#build-off-15-may-1-sept-1-2020.190

Anyone wanna share their voting strategy? I just did class 2 and feel like I should have done better
Matt I found class 2 to be a little more difficult because I’m trying to take into consideration how much fabrication went into these builds. Don’t want to over look the small things, if you don’t mind me asking but it’s my first go around and I was wondering if you had any tips about voting? Thanks Matt

I actually made a pugh matrix and gave each criteria a weighted percentage of the score. I'm a geek like that by nurture thanks to my job

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision-matrix_method
For class 1 -

50% - visual appeal (to me, not generic) and "would I ride/own it"
25% - mechanical/cosmetic aptitude (fab, repurposing, parts mix, overall mechanical skill)
25% - build engagement (build documentation and entertainment value)

For class 2 -

30% - visual appeal and "would I ride/own it". In some cases "COULD I even ride it" :bigsmile:
50% - mechanical/cosmetic aptitude (fab, repurposing, parts mix, overall mechanical skill) Danger factor
20% - build engagement (build documentation and entertainment value) Because in theory or at least in my mind they might not detail each step based on how involved their fab is

Then each build gets a score of 1 to 3 based on my personal feel and it does the math. I told myself I was going to only use my top 10 in class 1 but the numbers are telling me I either need to open that up more or reevaluate my scoring

Anyone wanna share their voting strategy? I just did class 2 and feel like I should have done better
It is like picking "best of show" from several different classes. I make a list of the ones that really catch my eye. I start with putting them where they would fit at a bike show in my head. Same thing in class I. Then I just ask myself if they nailed it and if it's been done before. Class II is a beast this year. Most importantly did they really build that and is it absolutely finished, we all had a deadline. I had to vote for more than one. Class II is for guys that can do it. It really is a pro class. I have been fawning to be a competitor in class II since I met this website. Class I is harder to compete in because you can get someone else to make your stuff.
I know mine is really intended as something I have wanted for myself for years. I am at peace with that. I also take that into account. Are they stoked they built it whether they win or not? I know a couple of the guys are absolutely beside themselves beaming or at least they should be. I knew what I signed up for. I still wish we could all go on a ride together

Last edited:
I actually made a pugh matrix and gave each criteria a weighted percentage of the score. I'm a geek like that by nurture thanks to my job

For class 1 -

25% - mechanical/cosmetic aptitude (fab, repurposing, parts mix, overall mechanical skill)

For class 2 -

30% - visual appeal and "would I ride/own it". In some cases "COULD I even ride it" :bigsmile:
50% - mechanical/cosmetic aptitude (fab, repurposing, parts mix, overall mechanical skill) Danger factor
20% - build engagement (build documentation and entertainment value) Because in theory or at least in my mind they might not detail each step based on how involved their fab is

Then each build gets a score of 1 to 3 based on my personal feel and it does the math. I told myself I was going to only use my top 10 in class 1 but the numbers are telling me I either need to open that up more or reevaluate my scoring
Very helpful thanks Capt’N, I can see multiple ways of breaking it down, Just want to make sure I’m giving them all the same respect, time they deserve

It is like picking "best of show" from several different classes. I make a list of the ones that really catch my eye. I start with putting them where they would fit at a bike show in my head. Same thing in class I. Then I just ask myself if they nailed it and if it's been done before. Class II is a beast this year.
Thank you, see done before is hard for us newbies! It’s all NEW! Lol

For class 1 -

For class 2 -

Too be fair I can't ride a sport and little people have trouble with a roadster so I take purpose fitted into account on ridability

Thank you, see done before is hard for us newbies! It’s all NEW! Lol
well we all kinda look at pictures of bicycles on the interweb all day so there is that. Good point,
toss that one out lol

Last edited:
I clear my mind, focussing primarily on how much cool each bike has in my mind...allow for a bit of tempering due to skill/talent/innovation in the build...then I place each bike on a linear scatterplot. If two bikes try to inhabit the same space, I'll take a deeper look at them and determine a better of the two. Then I find the top 1/3rd-ish, and vote for them.

Latest posts

Back