SideHacked! Epilogue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SideHacked! (Hackin')

I got a Craftsman sander similar to your Ryobi at a yard sale a few months ago for $20. Haven't used it yet. It is missing the front work surface, so I need to fab something for that.

kingfish254 said:
I got a Craftsman sander similar to your Ryobi at a yard sale a few months ago for $20. Haven't used it yet. It is missing the front work surface, so I need to fab something for that.
Been wantin' one of these for a while, and there's a critical part on the sidecar mount that needs this tool(or a bridgeport!). You'll see how important that work surface is.

Got a few of the chassis and axle parts made today. Sander is cutting down on parts making time. I can make square ends much faster now. Remember, this is a mirror image mock up. Camber and toe are adjustable.

800.jpg

799.jpg

798.jpg

Axle looks really thin here (1/2"), but it has an elastomer suspension. If it was solid, It would have to be 5/8".

Since I had to take it apart, I decided to share the mock up of the powerslide system. It still has some issues, but I think it'll work.

802.jpg

803.jpg

Oh cool!
I forgot about your sliding clamshell idea.
Is that an electric window unit?

kingfish254 said:
Oh cool!
I forgot about your sliding clamshell idea.
Is that an electric window unit?

Yep, I think I have to redesign the spool, but everything else works great.

Re: SideHacked! (Hack n' Roll)

Gonna' keep it short today. Chassis is done and attached to the bike. Rolls smooth and tests OK w/35 lbs of weight on board. Right turns blow but all sidecars are like that, it just takes getting used to. I'll put in some details later on some of these parts.

804.jpg

For those right turns, just do like me and add a cutter brake on the sidecar wheel.

Man, that really has a cool long flow to it!!!!
Sweet!

yoothgeye said:
For those right turns, just do like me and add a cutter brake on the sidecar wheel.

I really wanted to do that, but the brake that was in the wheel fell apart!

Goin' in a new direction with the actuation system. The chassis likes to twist about some and it's intentional. But that's tough on the rails and it's going to need some power when the alignment ain't perfect. The previous system slipped frequently and would chew up the cable. :x
I guess this part will be called "the Shuttle".

806.jpg

Has about 16" of travel. All of the mechanism will be underneath this time around, which gets me out of building cable guards. :D

805.jpg

Who said Engineering wasn't cool??!!
You gotta post a video once you get some moving parts.

Breadboard Madness!!!!

First time in full auto mode. First try didn't go well. Push buttons went into dead short mode, the feedback loops that hold the relays on during transition needed diodes.
So I made this mess to make sure I got the diodes pointed in the right direction.

807.jpg

What a Headache! :D But it does work and has lots of strength. Closed latching is tight.

i really like your bike! especially how you did the chains and disk brake! side car is pretty neat to!

Wow... so far you have a little more wiring than me... okay, a TON more! I've got about 4 inches of wiring on my bike. haha You better shoot some video soon.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Got the wired remote done and finished up the rest of the modules wiring. I'm callin' it done. I'll let the videos do the talkin', enjoy.

808.jpg

809.jpg

Vids,

Re: SideHacked! (Captain Shmideo)

Too cool!!!
Soooooo many cool and various skillz on our forum!!!!

Re: SideHacked! (O Sole Mio)

Well it looks like the sidecar sub-build has come to a close and I'm goin' solo.
The body construction has started and the backhalf, AKA the easy part is done short of hinges. Also got the standoffs done for the car seat. I'm very close to baby testing.

812.jpg

This looks pretty cool as is.

811.jpg

810.jpg

814.jpg

813.jpg

If your gonna' haul babies around you'd better have some storage space.

Re: SideHacked! (O Sole Mio)

So what do ya do when you need a table saw to make the wood pieces you need, but can't buy?

Make one!!!!

saw001.jpg

More on this later. Kids DON'T try this at home.

Latest posts

Back