SideHacked! Epilogue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SideHacked!

yoothgeye said:
3 foot wide sidecar! Cool, You can just make a platform and strap a loveseat on it!

Ha Ha!, actually, the sidecar will be built around the windshield and a carseat.
Might be a good ploy for bicycle jousting however! :wink:

motopsyco said:
You got this one looking good! I'll be following this one all the way to the end.

No, I think you're thinking about the *other* China made department store chopper bike with a sidecar on it... that's the one to follow.

Small goal today, yesterday I got the frame prepped for paint. No bare metal here! No matter what my color choices are later, the frame will be gloss black, just like any motorcycle.

777.jpg

Time for the RAT BOMB!

776.jpg

Nothing shows defects like paint. It's still got sticker glue on it. :x Most of this will get sanded away.

Nice progress. Looking forward for more.

When did you cut off part of the front chainguard mount... I must've missed that. Weight savings?

yoothgeye said:
When did you cut off part of the front chainguard mount... I must've missed that. Weight savings?

Yea, that was early on. I just cut one little ear off a few days ago. It matched the chain guard better. The weight savings was a bonus.

Awww, what happened? Wasn't my bunnie cute enough? Very well, stew pot it is. :D

It's time to get it rollin'.

Everything revolves around the jackshaft, so it goes on first.

778.jpg

I noticed I completely blew the dish on the front wheel. Interestingly enough the fork is crooked to the right. So I just put the deep dish on the right side.
782.jpg

Seat is staying clamped until I'm sure where I like it.

786.jpg

785.jpg

784.jpg

Gearing turned out well and normal cruise speed is in third gear. Shifting is ok, needs dialed in.

789.jpg

This is why I don't want final paint on anything.

787.jpg

Brake is being asked to do a lot, and I have no experience with disks. So I'm not really sure how short a stopping distance these things are supposed to have.

779.jpg

790.jpg

Now I could use some opinions. The wheel is overtely black and could use some breakin' up. I may go with this red pinstrip, look better?

Re: SideHacked! (Rollin')

Wow! Really innovative!
JoKeR63 said:
790.jpg

Now I could use some opinions. The wheel is overtely black and could use some breakin' up. I may go with this red pinstrip, look better?
Red pinstripe would look awesome

Definitely the red stripe. You could even do the stripe on the tire like the Bontrager Hank tires have.
I am going to be running the Redline Hanks on black rims and I am thinking I might even add a red stripe to the inside of the rim to compliment the Hanks.

This build is looking sick!! Great engineering doing on!!!!

yoothgeye said:
motopsyco said:
You got this one looking good! I'll be following this one all the way to the end.

No, I think you're thinking about the *other* China made department store chopper bike with a sidecar on it... that's the one to follow.
Don't worry I will be stopping by your thread on a regular basis to see what the rabbits are doing.

Been ridin' the base around to shake out the bugs, and there just just doesn't seem to be any other
than I think I need to put braz-ons on and reduce the amount of cable housing for the brakes. Which
makes a inordinate amount of noise which I am just going to have to live with. The jackshaft wasn't
designed with ultra low runouts.

It was time to go car seat huntin' and I had some extra time at work today. So I got online
checkin' the things out when my parts manager saw me and said he had one he wasn't using. Score!
Well that saved $50-$100 I didn't feel like spending. Had to scrub the devil out of it, but the
price was right.

Here's todays sidecar shopping adventure treasures. I should be goin' full blast tommorow.

791.jpg

Cover was too disgusting to photo. :shock:

Red stripe on the wheel is a must.

The disk brake should lock up the rear or come close, the original rim brake on the OCC is not so much of a brake but more of a tool to suggest the rear wheel to slightly decrease rotation.

I must step back up to the plate if you are planning to start your sidecar... hey you should make a springer! :eek:

'Bout 30 min's after posting last nite got the call to work Fri & Sat nite. It's a bunch of money, but will cut back on what gets done here. Did manage to get some design work done however.

Setting up the seat back, 70 deg.

793.jpg

Just seein' where everything goes, and trying to keep it as narrow as possible.

792.jpg

Re: SideHacked! (Hackin')

yoothgeye said:
Is that the wheel/tire you will be using?

Yep, it's phat, I had it in my pile, and the bearing setup lends itself to an overhung axle.

YG, while I got ya here, how wide is your vehicle measured outside of tire to outside of tire?

JoKeR63 said:
yoothgeye said:
Is that the wheel/tire you will be using?

Yep, it's phat, I had it in my pile, and the bearing setup lends itself to an overhung axle.

YG, while I got ya here, how wide is your vehicle measured outside of tire to outside of tire?

Good question, the sidecar tire you've seen is only a mock-up floating tire. The sidecar is (I think) 15" wide, tire will be tucked up tight to sidecar and "foot clearance" is maybe 8 inches. I'd say I'll be less than 30" wide... which would be cool, I could fit it through doors! :mrgreen:

As predicted, didn't get much done due to a shopping fiasco and a mini motorcycle. Spent what little morning I participated in on a friends cycle for some cash. Then went shopping for these two.

794.jpg

795.jpg

As it turns out, the first sander I bought was a crapfest. Over 1/8" runout on the disc. It's bent.

So I trucked it back to the store and cashed it out, it was the last one they had. Store #2 had a slightly better one for the same price, so it was kind of a wash.

Managed to cut the deck with my Redneck table saw(circular,6")
Laser straight. :D

797.jpg

796.jpg

Lookin' pretty tall, I'm seein' a wing on this. Countach '80's style?????

Latest posts

Back