SideHacked! Epilogue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SideHacked

Take a break one day and BAM!, second page! Today it's time to do the thought process and just look at a complete (well, almost) and see if it matchs the image a have in my head. Sure, for Gearheads it's neat to see awesome drivetrains but that leaves out some of the boards population. Some are here for the artwork, and that's awesome as well. I'd like to "Knock it up a notch!" in the art department but that's something that I didn't plan in advance. I've also stumbled on to an old light set recently and may incorporate them.

I keep seeing a murdered rear wheel, dark met. green, and woodgrain finishes on this thing. And a fatter front chrome rim.

738.jpg

I like a bike that has something interesting on the left side.

741.jpg

740.jpg

739.jpg

Gdcast said:
Looking great!! Wow can´t believe how much it changed :shock:

Me neither! Definitely has a Dyno vibe to it now. Guess that's why it's important to just put it together.

After mulling over the mock up pics I realized that the handlebars are bit overpowering. The "Texas Longhorn" look isn't what I'm looking for. (but I can see a build with them, however!) The other thing that concerned me is this thing eats up a lot of real estate aready, this thing will see a lot of trail time, I'd rather not take up both lanes.
I cut a Wald ape in half and rediscovered what I hated about doing this. This thing........

745.jpg

747.jpg

There is a slug in the bar to keep it from getting crushed. This required cutting long slots along the bottom of the bar.

744.jpg

Eyeballed with a ruler. Center piece is from the bikes original bar.
746.jpg

Ready to braze.

743.jpg

Now I have a more natural looking, but relatively wide set of bars.

742.jpg

Re: SideHacked(now with less bull)

Bars were the hardest thing for me to get nailed down last year, glad you nailed yours early. I have an idea for mine that will mix in some old school and have room for my theme, but until I slap them on there...

Last year I threw away a few sets of bars after cutting them up.

So I'm assumin' everyone concurs this was an improvement? Cutting up a perfectly good set of apes is a little nerve racking but I guess it was worth it. One thing the "Longhorns" did do is prove the technique works as it was the same methodology used this time around.
The base bike sat in my back yard for a year and I could pull on them hard enough to slip them in the clamps.

JoKeR63 said:
So I'm assumin' everyone concurs this was an improvement? Cutting up a perfectly good set of apes is a little nerve racking but I guess it was worth it. One thing the "Longhorns" did do is prove the technique works as it was the same methodology used this time around.
The base bike sat in my back yard for a year and I could pull on them hard enough to slip them in the clamps.

Yes, they look better, you could've even gone a little narrower. I have to go back a page to see a before/after. Did those apes come off the rear of a tandem?

yoothgeye said:
Yes, they look better, you could've even gone a little narrower. I have to go back a page to see a before/after. Did those apes come off the rear of a tandem?

Source of the handlebars is unknown. With the Longhorns I was trying to make as wide a set of bars that I could posibly make. I can't make the bars any narrower without switching to a standard stem. I'll get a closeup of it later today.

Re: SideHacked!

Heres a close up of the bar and the mounts, as you can see, the 1" part of the tube butts up against the mount. It's as narrow as it gets.

748.jpg

Some more outdoor shots, this works so much better on a nice day.

749.jpg

I'm also diggin' how the downturn in the bars matches the top tube angle, more happy accidents!

750.jpg

I'd vote for this bike, the way it is! Just looks "right".

KOTA said:
I'd vote for this bike, the way it is! Just looks "right".

Well then, I hope I don't ruin it for ya! :D

I can't speak for the paint, found as is, in a recycle bin. Somebodys unrealized dream. This bike's gonna' roll before I paint it, I'll try to get some artsie shots of it before I strip it.

Rolling before the end of May, but the side car? Meh.

Thanks everyone.........

Todays mission is to get a classic chrome frt wheel happenin'. I really hate stareing a pile like this down.

754.jpg

Hub and spokes are from a real cheap tag-a-long bike(crank was FAKE) which was the top bar donor for my Klunker. Hub is kinda' chunky which works out well for this ride.

753.jpg

I usually have a visual aid handy when lacing.

752.jpg

And done!

751.jpg

By now, some of you have been wondering how I am going to manage keeping a right hand thread adapter on the left side. After considering many different plans I've settled on this. First I had to drill and tap the adapter. Of course it was hardened. So I heated up the drilling area cherry red, then let cool slowly. Drill and tap when right thru that sintered metal! I will then drill a hole in the hub where the bolt meets the hub once tightened.

755.jpg

756.jpg

This is an old ECM from a "Toyota", it will be the battery case for the lights. Looks like it was made for it. Lucky fit!

758.jpg

Been savin' these for a while, "BattlePacks" from the old BattleBots days. I'll rearrange these to fit the case.

757.jpg

Joker63,

Another cool creation in the making from the mad moto scientist.

Latest posts

Back