SideHacked! Epilogue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SideHacked

This what happens after you need a 5/8" keyed shaft.

sh013.jpg

"And some gave their all".

Finished off the caliper bracket, brazed on the derailler bracket, and built the park mechanism.

711.jpg

712.jpg

713.jpg

Had to lathe off the ends of the standoffs..........
709.jpg

708.jpg

"For those playing along at home, Rita is now dead." I miss you guys.

Almost forgot this thing!
714.jpg

Todays mission was to get those extensions done. Had to go get some new saw blades for this one. But aluminum is more like working with wood, as in you can use the same tools. I still have to work out their final shape, 'cause they're pretty ugly right now.

Since I had to put a hub in for spacing I also set up the rear chain. I'm gonna' call the driveline done.

Lookin' fairly clunky. There's a good part in there somewhere.
716.jpg

717.jpg

Right side is longer to accommodate a sidecar mount.

718.jpg

719.jpg

720.jpg

721.jpg

Not going to win any efficiency awards! :D

722.jpg

723.jpg

That's awesome, you've definitely got skills!

You have gears too, mine has to be single speed because the military goes with the lowest bid and that meant 1 speed. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
That's awesome, you've definitely got skills!

You have gears too, mine has to be single speed because the military goes with the lowest bid and that meant 1 speed. :mrgreen:

Well, my primary reason for gears is to keep my knees from exploding post Kyle's Negroplasy style. :lol: Getting this much weight rolling calls for some torque. The Baby and her seat are close to 40 lbs! And that figure threatens to go up.

JoKeR63 said:
Well, my primary reason for gears is to keep my knees from exploding post Kyle's Negroplasy style. :lol: Getting this much weight rolling calls for some torque. The Baby and her seat are close to 40 lbs! And that figure threatens to go up.

I like simplicity, and I counted chainring teeth today and I'm at 26, I need to count coaster sprocket to see just how low that will be.

Gold Street Customs said:
Wow look at the progress, Your an animal !!!

I've been playin' "Legal Hookie", (vacation) this week just for this event. 8)

Ok, now today I have a dilemma. It's time to tackle the seatpost.

727.jpg

Dimension mock up.
728.jpg

The problems;
I'm a big guy.
Seatpost is heavily cantilevered.
Seat MUST be adjustable.
I'm still trying to be a weight weenie.

Remember that thing about a square peg in a round hole? Well a round post may fit into that square area I have in the seat,

726.jpg

but It's not going to keep my wide seat on this wide seat from shifting from side to side. The solution? Braze 2 90 deg angle iron pieces to the post. With the 2 pieces "nested" on the tube, I get a perfect fitting 1 1/2" by 1 5/8" rectangle.
The bad news, it gained over 2 lbs. I should now be able to drill holes thru it and have a nice solid base.

725.jpg

724.jpg

Today, I decided to take it down a notch, and just do the fender mount. It's still a critical part as it has to be aligned carefully. Also got some better seat pics.
The seat and fender have a nice "low but not rubbing" clearance. I may also add a short sissy bar to the seat.
729.jpg

730.jpg

731.jpg

733.jpg

734.jpg

735.jpg

736.jpg

737.jpg

On a separate note managed to shave 4 whopping oz. by using this new crank and ring. :lol:

732.jpg

JoKeR63 said:
On a separate note managed to shave 4 oz. by using this new crank and ring.

Get your hands on an alloy unit and save a couple pounds, seriously. Shouldn't be too hard to find a share taper aluminum crank, you can find them on a lot of Walmart bikes. On my Sand Rover (which uses the OCC bottom bracket) I used a Specialized crank on the drive side, man is it light, too bad I didn't have the non drive side, so the left pedal always dives when my feet are off.

yoothgeye said:
JoKeR63 said:
On a separate note managed to shave 4 oz. by using this new crank and ring.

Get your hands on an alloy unit and save a couple pounds, seriously. Shouldn't be too hard to find a share taper aluminum crank, you can find them on a lot of Walmart bikes. On my Sand Rover (which uses the OCC bottom bracket) I used a Specialized crank on the drive side, man is it light, too bad I didn't have the non drive side, so the left pedal always dives when my feet are off.

Whoops!, needed more saterical metaphores! This was the best I had in my pile. If I find a lighter crank I'll seriously consider it, I just got to find a good deal.

JoKeR63 said:
Whoops!, needed more saterical metaphores! This was the best I had in my pile. If I find a lighter crank I'll seriously consider it, I just got to find a good deal.

I'll see if I have anything light enough to send to you, how many teeth you looking for?

yoothgeye said:
JoKeR63 said:

I'll see if I have anything light enough to send to you, how many teeth you looking for?

48-52

Latest posts

Back