Shut Down

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tach it up, tach it up
Buddy gonna shut you down

It happened on the strip where the road is wide
(Ooo, rev it up now)
Two cool shorts standin' side by side
(Ooo, rev it up now)
Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen
(Ooo, rev it up now)
A revin' up our engines and it sounds real mean
(Ooo, rev it up now)

Tach it up, tach it up
Buddy gonna shut you down

Declinin' numbers at an even rate
(Ooo, movin' out now)
At the count of one we both accelerate
(Ooo, movin' out now)
My Stingray is light the slicks are startin' to spin
(Ooo, movin' out now)
But the four-thirteen's really diggin' in
(Ooo, movin' out now)

Gotta be cool now
Power shift here we go

Superstock Dodge is windin' out in low
But my fuel injected Stingray's really startin' to go
To get the traction I'm ridin' the clutch
My pressure plate's burnin,' that machine's too much

Pedal's to the floor, hear the dual quads drink
(Ooo, pump it up now)
And now the four-thirteen's lead is startin' to shrink
(Ooo, pump it up now)
He's hot with ram induction but it's understood
(Ooo, pump it up now)
I got a fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood
(Ooo, pump it up now)

Shut it off, shut it off
Buddy, now I shut you down

Shut it off, shut it off

Shut it off, shut it off

Shut it off, shut it off

Shut it off, shut it off

KGrHqFHJBkE9r6rlBPnI7RHFWg60_58.jpg

streetpirate said:
always thought it was bs that the stingray beat the 413. Must have been sponsored by Chevrolet

Somehow, I never bought into the idea that an injected Stingray beat a super stock Dodge, especially coming from behind to win. Maybe it was the driver...

'63 fuelie vette = 14.9 in the 1/4
'62 413 max wedge = 14.4 in the 1/4

closer race than I would have guessed! or the google is wrong

streetpirate said:
'63 fuelie vette = 14.9 in the 1/4
'62 413 max wedge = 14.4 in the 1/4

closer race than I would have guessed! or the google is wrong

The Google is NEVER wrong! :lol:

Thanks for the interest, folks. Trying to sort out the bits I have and find the ones I need. Lotsa build pics later this summer.

furyus

Still gathering bits, but I do have my frame finally. From what I can tell of the serial number, it was produced in early February, 1953. I'm not really sure what model it is, but I speculate it's a Wasp or a Spitfire. I'm not very familiar with these old Schwinn tank bikes or balloon bikes or whatever the correct classification might be. I just saw the frame when I was searching for Sting-Ray bits and fell hard. Come to find out she's a good bit shorter and lower that a 'Ray, and I don't think I'll fit very comfortably - makes my '66 'Ray seem enormous by comparison. Not to worry - I got back into Sting-Rays again all these decades later so I could build bikes for my two nephews. Just didn't want them on Wally World garbage from the middle kingdom, if you follow me. So the eldest nephew, Chris, who is 6, is going to have the baddest ride in the cul-de-sac.

The first couple of pics are of the '53. Perhaps "The World" on the head badge will help one of you more knowledgeable hands help me identify the correct model. To finally answer you, motopsyco, absolutely the patina stays. Looks like a previous owner did a little touch up around the bottom bracket, regretably, but the rest of the bike is old and sweet. I've got my own way of preserving patina, and I'll post about that later.

ShutDown1.jpg

ShutDown2.jpg

The nest three pics are of a 1955 B.F. Goodrich (Schwinn) Red Raider I found shortly after picking up the '53. I bought it for the trusses, headset, crank, sprocket, chain guard and "AS" seat clamp. I'm a bit torn - the '55 is much rattier and cool in it's own right. The Red Raider decals on the chain guard disintegrated so now you're looking at the fresher paint where they used to be. If you look close, you can see a little star and bars decal to the right of "Raider." If I recall my history, being a "red" in 1955 wasn't a good thing, at least here in the USA. Kinda flows nicely with my distaste for bikes manufactured in communist countries. I'm hesitant to blast the guard, because I'm guessing this might be the last Red Raider guard in existence (or not), but if I use it on the '53 I probably will paint it. I may use my one mulligan and go with the '55, but the '53 is so pretty (and my nephew probably doesn't appreciate corrosion as much as his uncle does) that I imagine it'll end up being my build-off frame.

Speaking of which, some of you guys are crazy talented. I think I'd do well if this was the Rat Rod Bike Assemble Off, but don't expect much "build" from me. I'm going to rely on what I hope are tastefully chosen parts, simplicity and a clean assembly. I'm diggin' it, and I think my nephew will, too.

RedRaider1.jpg

RedRaider3.jpg

RedRaider2.jpg

Great looking frame to start with. Ready for more!!!

Wow, some of you guys are bonkers, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Crazy builds. Me? I'm gonna get real nutty and rebuild my pedals. What good is pizzazz if you ain't got no power train, right? So where the feet bone meets the crank bone is where I begin. May I introduce to you my 1955 pedals with 19 ball-bearings where there should be 20, and a good bit of rust. Perhaps a ball fell out at the factory during assembly and the worker said "You know what? The heck with Schwinn quality" and buttoned it up short. I like that story better than someone losing a ball during a repack years later, so I'm sticking with it.

At this rate I'll be done in time for RRBBO9. But I press on.

furyus

Pedals.jpg

So I've got Shut Down mocked up - wide whites on Schwinn S7 and S2 rims, a Bendix deuce out back, red "S" seat with chrome crash rail and chrome beehives, and tall, rusty apes with Schwinn chubbies. Problem is, it screams I Get Around, not Shut Down. Do I change the bike or the song? I know we're allowed one frame change per the rules, but do we get a do-over on theme songs as well? While there's still time, I think I need to take a step back and do a little more research, with the assistance of my lovely helper Baby Doll [ viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56520 ]. We'll get back to you.

furyus

tix.jpg

Have fun at the concert! :p I seen them a couple years ago...they were awesome! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back