show your bike trailer! and how you hook it up to your bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailerfucktoberfest.jpg

First trailer had a knob that would clamp a thingy on the seatstay or chainstay. Second trailer used a U bolt. The rest was stupid luck and balance.

TrailerFucktoberfest2.jpg

You can see the load mirrors and stereo here. It was a fun and awkward ride across town.

TrailerFucktoberfest3cockpit.jpg

Here is a scratch fabricated trailer that came about when I decided to refurbish an old Radio Flyer wagon to pull my little dog around. ( He is a 4 pound Chihuahua) I soon morphed the idea into a bike trailer so I could take him along on rides. The idea was to make it easy to disassemble, and convert back to the original wagon. I don’t want to bore you with the details, but I found the parts cheap and it took about 4 or 5 days to complete with the cutting, welding and painting. (That also includes the wagon chassis parts and wheels) The hardest part was using what I had on hand to make a 3- axis connector that was close to a U-joint in its swivel action. I am planning to use a quick release pin for the coupler, but for the test rides it was bolted together to see how it handled. It can also be flipped over with the wagon tub removed to give it a higher ride stance, and I plan to extend the frame and add a wood floor and side boards as a third option for cargo.
CorvetteTrailer025.jpg
CorvetteTrailer026.jpg
CorvetteTrailer020.jpg
CorvetteTrailer017.jpg
Very very cool! Like it a lot! The bike too!

We just got this schwinn trailer for store runs, so far I've put a 3/8ths plywood sheet under it and mounted a cooler, flipped the wheel mounts to drop it.
1388321664865_zpsb7904178.jpg

I plan to mount the wheels inside the frame, making it narrower.

Update picture:
20140105_122728_zpsfd563086.jpg

After trying it with a cooler inside, nets and bungees in place to hold things down, I didn't like the blue caboose.
So I looked thru this thread to get ideas. This is what got created, plus the cat adopted the old cabin.
20140105_122741_zps229c0bbf.jpg

It felt really wide so I remounted the wheels to the inside.

Saw this up for auction at Copake (sale coming in April). Pretty cute. But tiny and hard wheels would not work on the lousy streets in my town. The hitch would hook up directly to my lawn tractor.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3C66%3Dot%3E2367%3D%3C%3B8%3D647%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A8%3C3%3C638%3C23%3Aot1lsi

not exactly a trailer, but i built this sidecar for a customer for a commercial shoot a year or so ago.

(customer supplied the generic firm strong cruiser)

this was a 3 day build from concept to completion (commercials always under time crunch)

2DE816E3-A28C-4DCC-977F-65938C7DEA8A-13130-0000134516B8E489_zps41eddf04.jpg

FD36ED0D-5F8D-43FA-A60D-5C929F61E3D0-13130-000013452D9569B3_zps96b62d33.jpg

shows the "rigging" the sidecar "fork" was bolted thru the body of the sidecar to give it stability, worked great.
D2210CDE-EAE4-405D-A0DD-458F6022B080-11394-0000107C01431FA3_zps9927b734.jpg

Anyone got anything for 12' plus SUP or kayaks? Or ideas? Everything I have seen or tried has been mediocre at best.

best bet on towing a canoe or kayak is to use the canoe/kayak as the trailer frame. That is, no frame at all. A pair of wheels with a solid axle that clips to the middle of the canoe/kayak plus a hitch that runs from the front end of the canoe/kayak to the seat post on your bike.
The canoe/kayak is heavy enough already. And they are plenty sturdy. Any frame you build would need to be as heavy.

There are plenty of options for wheels depending on the terrain you want to ride on to get to the water from bicycle wheels to floatation wheels.

for a kayak/conoe trailer i would build a traiiler with a rack that a canoe or kayak could slide on
the rack that you mount on vehicles may be the best choice to mount it

best bet on towing a canoe or kayak is to use the canoe/kayak as the trailer frame. That is, no frame at all. A pair of wheels with a solid axle that clips to the middle of the canoe/kayak plus a hitch that runs from the front end of the canoe/kayak to the seat post on your bike.
The canoe/kayak is heavy enough already. And they are plenty sturdy. Any frame you build would need to be as heavy.

There are plenty of options for wheels depending on the terrain you want to ride on to get to the water from bicycle wheels to floatation wheels.
I actually ended up building this from my sons old trailer. I just cut piece that attaches to the bike and used a piece of 1" conduit and 2 straight conduit clamps. This way I can make is short to use as a kid trailer or long to fit my 12" SUP. I also took 2 1/4" pieces of steel rod and bent them to hold the board and keep it from twisting. I zip tied a piece of pipe insulation onto the frame a well to keep it from damaging the board. Seems to work pretty well so far. Below is the only picture I have.

I am still working on something for a Kayak. It is much heavier and may require 4 weels... lol. I have not tried to put it on my 5 wheeled bike with the 6" long wooden bed. Its on a different post on this site.

Latest posts

Back